Common anscestor of Chimps/Humans

Aegyptopithecus zeuxis: the 30 million year old common ancestor of all chimps and humans:

070514_monkey_hmed-6.widec.jpg

Obviously we have too many doctors that have been saving the lives of those should've died of natural selection, thus, bad genes are inherited...:bugeye:

From the article in the original post:
A comparison of thousands of human and chimpanzee genes suggests that chimps have actually evolved more since the two species parted from a common ancestor approximately five million years ago, according to Jianzhi Zhang, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, who led the research.
Thanks for reading.

Hey Frag, the expert in the link says 30 million years, what do you know which that expert doesn't?
This is a no-brainer. Here's a dumbed-down Wikipedia article on the Hominoids, colloquially known as the Great Apes. It includes a timetable of the separation of the various branches of the primates, one that I've seen in a dozen places. 18 million years ago, the Great Apes had just split from the Lesser Apes (gibbons and a few odd relatives). Eighteen million years ago there was still only one common ancestor for gorillas, orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos, and humans. They still had a lot of separation and evolution to go through before we get to the point that there's one ape who is the ancestor of only humans and chimps. That happened about five million years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominoid#Classification_and_evolution

I'm not your biology professor. If you don't think this--and the dozens of articles it links to with all of their citations--is authoritative enough, I'll hardly be surprised. You have a very narrow range of "authorities" you trust. As I've said before, you don't belong on SciForums.

I'm not sure which "expert" you're quoting. The link in the original post in this thread clearly states:
A comparison of thousands of human and chimpanzee genes suggests that chimps have actually evolved more since the two species parted from a common ancestor approximately five million years ago, according to Jianzhi Zhang, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, who led the research.

Last edited:
Your sources are tired ol' Darwin drum beaters, viewed with jaundiced eyes by millions for decades, so you are hardly a bastion of intellectual honesty there Frag.

Humans and chimpanzees split five million years ago, not thirty million.

Well yes, but that doesn't mean that Aegyptopithecus zeuxis is not our common ancestor, as are rodents like Cimolesta 210 mya, or segmented chordates from the Cambrian explosion 540 mya, like Pikaia, or worms before that, and possibly Choanoflagellates. I did not imply or suggest any divergence date?

i think that man with the glasses could be a common ancestor to the neanderthal not homo sapien.
His name wasn't really Aegyptopithecus, either. It was Jim. Becoming the common ancestor is like becoming the Pope -you get a sort of honorary new name.

Back