Colors

Soulcry

Registered Senior Member
I was just wandering if for example "red" is the same "red" for another person or is it different. There are color blind people so their red is totally different from most people's red. How about for normal vision people. Is my red the same as your red :bugeye: or are there diffreneces?

Technically, red is red. As in, all red light has a wavelength of approximately 700nm. However, some people's eyes can't absorb that wavelength at all. Others can absorb it in varying degrees, so I guess the brain of each individual could interpret red differently.

I always wished i was synesthetic! I've heard the closest thing non-synesthetic people can really get to it is LSD... *shrug*

Originally posted by Claudea
I always wished i was synesthetic! I've heard the closest thing non-synesthetic people can really get to it is LSD... *shrug*

I can tell you from personal exp that meditation can bring about the same expiriences, but with much greater control over when it stops.

Originally posted by river-wind
I can tell you from personal exp that meditation can bring about the same expiriences, but with much greater control over when it stops.

Very cool... I meditate, but i've never had anything like that happen to me... I'd love to hear your story sometime. :)

The same wavelength of color could be perceived by my senses and represented in my brain as what your brain represents blue. I think this is what you're asking.

I thought about that a bit. We might all have the same favorite color and just map the color wheel such that the favorite internal representation is different for each of us ... it isn't something that can be cleared up so long as the mapping is linear and gradual.

Then again my favorite color has changes. Supposedly some see snails see in 17 primary colors. We see in 3 since we have 3 eye pigments with different absorption spectras.

So there are two issues - same dimension of color representation and same internal external mapping. I would imagine there are differences in both, but it's tricky to figure out whether the internal/external mapping matters as there is ostensibly no change in information. The other is surely an issue.

Back