Codon Program

Unknown

Registered Member
Well, I recently learnd C# and learned about Codons @ my school. I've decided to put them together and make a search program. The program can do the following:
1. Search for a codon on the mRNA
2. Display anticodons of an amino acid
3. Search for a codon on the DNA

Please download it and tell me what you think of it. Feel free to C&C the program and me. I would like to improve it greatly. Unfroutnatly, I decided to make the prgoram a command prompt and I regret I didn't make a windows application...Well enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to sciforums. I tried your program, and there are some errors I found. The main issue is that the program crashes when I enter the "yes" option for generating an anticodon, or if I use option 2 to generate one.

It's a handy little tool, but are you going to add an option that allows you to enter a sequence, and search that for certain codons of particular amino acids? Then it can reference you to other info about the amino acids like it does now?

I'll try to add as much as I can, depending on what you guys think it needs. As for the sequense, it already allows you to put just one codon and it will give you the amino acid. I guess I'm not really understanding waht you mean. Can you explain more please.

Say you have a sequence...as a random arbitrary number, say 50 base pairs. You could have an option where that is entered and stored, and the program could search that for certain codons and highlight them, or something. It could be helpful if you are searching for a particular amino acid in a sequence, since the different amino acids have different porperties and are associated with different types of protein domains.

So you mean read a sequence and you the user ask to find something in the sequence like a codon for an amino acid, or print the amino acid's that sequence makes?

It's pretty neat. Your option 4 has a typo in it that you may want to fix (the word "sequence" is written as "squence"). Other than that, it's really neat. Good job.

Thanks for the comments. I made my program into a Windows Application. It dosne't have the sequence featuer yet, but I'm working on it :) Tell me what you think of it :)

Well I'm back. :D I finished the final touches on my program and I've added a few error dialogs to help you out. I hope you all like it and benefit from it. Please spread the news :)

Back