Cilantro Tastes Like Soap

Does cilantro taste like soap to you?

• Total voters

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
WHAT!? A new Mexican restaurant opened up near work. They put extra cilantro on their tacos, which I just LOVE! A co-worker won't eat there because she says it tastes like soap. Apparently it tastes like soap to my husband as well. Wha???

I've tried nibbling on cilantro and find the taste distinctly unpleasant.

Yeah, it's got a soapy overtone. I've gotten used to it and even kind of like it now.

My mother says that, but I love it. What kind of fucked up soap were they using? It must be delicious!

It is a genetic predisposition towards the taste that defines whether we like it or not.

Cilantro is the name used in Mexico and the USA for the herb that the rest of the world calls coriander. It's actually the same Latin word, muddled through intermediary languages. It's also known as Chinese parsley.

I can't stand the taste. I won't eat anything with cilantro, it makes me almost literally sick.

Still, I wouldn't describe the taste as soapy. It just tastes like a really awful weed that should never have been cultivated.

OTOH, coriander seed tastes totally different from cilantro.

Some things taste and smell different to different people.
This is because we don't all have the same olfactory receptors.
There may be a substance in coriander that stimulates a bad-taste receptor that not all people have.

I find it can taste soapy, varies from plant to plant, and how much is used.

I grow my own now and that plant doesn't taste soapy. I really like the taste if used in the correct proportions, I used fresh Coriander leaves in my chilli, which is pure awesomeness.

Back