Chuckle of the week: Fully Human

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
I can't resist: Max Ernst: The Virgin Spanks the Christ Child in the Presence of Three Witnesses

From Manfred Barthel:
The Surrealist artist Max Ernst has given us a glimpse of another unreported incident from Jesus' boyhood that is much better suited to the tastes of our own irreverent age. The Virgin Spanks the Christ Child in the Presence of Three Witnesses shows Mary, her hand ominously upraised, with the child bent over her knee, his bare backside already red. Mary's halo is still firmly in place, but Jesus' has tumbled to the ground, and we can only imagine what childish misdemeanor he might have committed. When this painting was first exhibited in 1926, it caused a howl of protest, but today even seminary students can appreciate this vivid apocryphal genre scene. (299-300)
- Barthel, Manfred. What the Bible Really Says. Trans. Mark Howson. New York: Wings, 1982.

And just for the hell of it, from the same:
So far about seventy thousand biographies of Jesus have been written, not counting the Gospels. This is probably because we know so very little about his life .... (298)
At any rate ... there's not much else to this topic. Just a couple of chuckles worth sharing.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Nice.

It provoked me to think of anything else legendary that has been written about so much. I reached a blank.

Back