Christianity destined to expand worldwide in this century

shiat ali sh*t

Registered Member
Christianity outstripping Islam worldwide
___By William Bole

One of the often-heard comments since Sept. 11 is that Islam is growing so rapidly it soon will become the world's largest religion, overtaking Christianity in just a couple of decades.

Many of these projections are traceable to the work of Harvard University scholar Samuel Huntington, who has put forward the idea of a "clash of civilizations." But a new book about Christianity in the Third World says Huntington and others are missing the global demographic picture.

In his book , newly published by Oxford University Press, Jenkins argues that the post-Sept. 11 commentaries have overlooked the dramatic upsurge of Christianity in places like Africa.

Basically, you're talking about Africa being 9 percent Christian back in 1900 and close on 50 percent today. That's a huge change," said Jenkins, who teaches at Penn State University. "Somewhere in the 1960s, the number of Christians in Africa outpaced the number of Muslims in Africa. A great, historic change--and nobody paid attention to it."

As of 2000, there were approximately 2 billion Christians and 1.2 billion Muslims worldwide, according to the World Christian Encyclopedia, which Jenkins draws upon extensively in his book.

While disputing Huntington's prediction of a reversal of numerical fortunes, Jenkins does think Christians and Muslims are heading toward a clash that could become cataclysmic. But he sees Islam as facing off in the future not primarily with Western Christianity, but with Christian countries in the developing world.

In a worst-case scenario, he pictures Christian and Islamic countries of the southern hemisphere locked in religious conflicts reminiscent of the Middle Ages. "Imagine the world of the 13th century armed with nuclear warheads and anthrax," Jenkins writes. He says he put the finishing touches on the book the day before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Roman Catholicism and the Pentecostal churches figure heavily in the author's portrayal of a "new Christendom" in the Third World, and he sees ample signs of conflict between these two branches of the faith in places like Latin America.

However, since Sept. 11, the warnings of fierce religious rivalries have revolved mainly around Islam.

In his 1996 book, "The Clash of Civilizations," Huntington predicted that Muslims would outnumber Christians by 2020 or soon after. "In the long run--Muhammad wins out," he wrote.

But Jenkins asserts that Huntington's reading of global demographics is skewed. "The problem is that he's only looking at the very high birth rates in Islamic countries. He's not looking at the very high birth rates next door in Christian countries," he said.

Jenkins points out that the countries with the fastest-growing and youngest populations are evenly distributed between Christian and Muslim societies. Based on these trends, he sees Christianity keeping its massive lead in the foreseeable future. Looking farther ahead, to 2050, he still counts three Christians for every two Muslims worldwide.

Beth Baiter, a spokeswoman for Huntington, said he has been in such demand as a writer and speaker since Sept. 11 that he is "granting almost no interviews." He did not respond to an e-mail request for comment on this point.

Jenkins acknowledges that nobody really knows which religions will prevail in 2050, but he adds it is fairly safe to make projections about the next three or four decades.

He points to countries like Uganda, where between 40 percent and 50 percent of the people are age 14 or under. One would expect such a country to have a booming expansion for at least 30 or 40 years, he said.

Add to that the religious trends there. "There's a reasonable bet that Uganda is going to be ... about 80 percent Christian in 30 or 40 years. It's possible that there will be a massive overnight conversion to Islam or Mormonism, but I really doubt it," Jenkins said.

Most commentators are clueless to these religious realities in Africa and elsewhere in the developing world, he said.

"Everyone knows--quote, unquote--that Christianity was taken to places like Africa by missionaries and then presumably when imperialism ended, then Christianity died with it. That's the impression. But any book written today on religion and Africa, say, would talk about this religious explosion as one of the most remarkable events in the continent," he said.

It might be more accurate to say southern hemisphere Christianity came into its own only after Western colonial powers packed up and left in the 1950s and 1960s.

"It's like what happened at the end of the Roman Empire. It's after the Roman Empire falls that Christianity really takes off big time in Europe. And that's exactly what happens in Africa. It's after the British, the French and the Belgians leave that Christianity takes off."

This isn't going to be one of those "My God is bigger than your God" threads is it, or are you just trying to wind the Muslims up?

shiat ali sh*t:

Please read the forum rules, particularly regarding long cut-and-pastes and plagiarism. You are walking a fine line.

*points at Islam* oh my god! They're killing people and making the world pissed off and making America piss people off! Let's join them! *Australia joins Islam*

That's great news, not because I am particularly fond of christianity but because it is "the devil we know". The west has managed to beat christianity into the corner before so we know we can do it again. Maybe the church should get a new motto like "try christianity, the path to atheistic enlightenment" ;)

Numbers represent very little. I am afraid this Huntington fellow, has hid days numbered.

True Christians/Muslims (and I'm saying this to avoid argument for the time being), in terms of "fanaticism", are a small fraction compared to "leisure" Christians/Muslims.

A war between Christians/Muslims like those of times past, is quite unlikely, and frankly, if it did happen, would not be relatively "significant".

It is a shame though if Christians should slaughter a lost people in the name of the Son of God.

path said:
That's great news, not because I am particularly fond of christianity but because it is "the devil we know". The west has managed to beat christianity into the corner before so we know we can do it again. Maybe the church should get a new motto like "try christianity, the path to atheistic enlightenment" ;)

While I'm not an out and out atheist, I can't emphasize enough what an absolutely excellent point you make. Christianity, with some exceptions, has learned to co-exist with [and sometimes adopt aspects of] secular humanism [at least in most of Europe].

"While I'm not an out and out atheist, I can't emphasize enough what an absolutely excellent point you make. Christianity, with some exceptions, has learned to co-exist with [and sometimes adopt aspects of] secular humanism [at least in most of Europe]. "

To be fair, Christianity went through this phase of uncompromising intolerance which lasted a long time and remnants of which remain today. The difference is that Jesus directed us to "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" thereby recognizing 2000 years ago the necessity of separating religion from politics. Also, Jesus was a pacifist. These two Biblical facts allowed Christianity to evolve into a kinder, gentler form of itself without Christians feeling they had lost some vital part of their religious teachings.

Islam, on the other hand, was founded by a military man who established (ostensibly at Allah's command) an Islamic system of law without which many Muslims feel their religious life is incomplete. I am not sure how Muslims will reconcile this conflict but it seems to me this is what's holding them back.

Paula said:
"While I'm not an out and out atheist, I can't emphasize enough what an absolutely excellent point you make. Christianity, with some exceptions, has learned to co-exist with [and sometimes adopt aspects of] secular humanism [at least in most of Europe]. "

To be fair, Christianity went through this phase of uncompromising intolerance which lasted a long time and remnants of which remain today. The difference is that Jesus directed us to "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" thereby recognizing 2000 years ago the necessity of separating religion from politics. Also, Jesus was a pacifist. These two Biblical facts allowed Christianity to evolve into a kinder, gentler form of itself without Christians feeling they had lost some vital part of their religious teachings.

Islam, on the other hand, was founded by a military man who established (ostensibly at Allah's command) an Islamic system of law without which many Muslims feel their religious life is incomplete. I am not sure how Muslims will reconcile this conflict but it seems to me this is what's holding them back.

Good points all. We- assuming you're of European descent- come from cultures that went through the enlightenment, industrial revolution etc. Christianity and societies had a hell of a time adjusting even given the centuries we had to do so. Islamic countries need the same transformation, but it's apparent it's going to occur at an accelerated rate. And it isn't going to be pretty.

path said:

Agreed. :D

Paula said:

You said it, Paula. :)

Back