Christian Virtues And Public Policy

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
This is from an article about a Lutheran pastor in Denmark who does not believe in the afterlife, resurrection, or the Virgin Mary:
Religion in Denmark, unlike the American kind, is almost never a defining political or personal issue, pastors and experts say. That is true of almost all of Scandinavia, a profoundly secular region where the word of God, while not exactly irrelevant, is often viewed as tedious. Church attendance in Denmark is estimated at 6 percent, though some experts say the figure is even lower. (Full text here)
Much the same could be said about many other European countries, and about Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Another thing you could say about these countries is that by virtually every quantifiable measure (except that of American public opinion) their citizens enjoy a higher quality of life than ours do.

Is it possible that the Christian virtues, at least when it comes to public policy, are practiced most faithfully in those countries that are the least observant?

:m: Peace.

Touchy! Because if your conclusion is right, church-going people would insist that religiosity (in the sense of living according to one’s believes) is not possible without church. What, they would ask, are churches for, then?
Being an atheist living among Buddhists, Bahaïs and Animists (among others) I have often heard people that I find most sympathetic say that true religiosity is WITHIN and not outside of people. I agree. So what are the churches, temples, pagodas, shrines for) (and other symbols, then?
Are they a symbol for true reverence? If yes, are they the ONLY symbol of reverence?
Are they a means of the human mind to transpose its imminent need for “straying”?
A symbol of a deal struck between the sinner and his conscience? (I have been bad and it will be forgotten once I contribute in a material way?)
A carefully chosen (at least the old ones) place to contemplate?
A symbol of power? Power of what?

BTW: I share the observation described in your post. And: whatever you find at micro-level usually impacts on policy. But I am not sure whether it can be backed up by “real” data, could be I fell prey (pray? :)) to my tunnel vision as an atheist.

Mmmm. Have done some twisting around and around. What if your question
Is it possible that the Christian virtues, at least when it comes to public policy, are practiced most faithfully in those countries that are the least observant?
is turned the other way round? What if one would ask: Why does it appear that people that live in an oppressive or otherwise not very comfortable country take to religion so much? Not in a true sense, but more for substitution? To keep their minds busy? What is the the consequence of what?

Church is a ritual, and a focus of commitment for those who might otherwise forget and disregard the values they strive to practice. It's not necessary, but it can help.

Not for all people, though. Church attendence isn't for everyone.

... rituals help on the surface to reinforce values; hopefully something will filter down into intelligent decision-making.

Back