Cholesterol (HDL/LDL) idea

cato

less hate, more science
Registered Senior Member
I was thinking on the way home from college today, and I came up with an idea. Since HDL (high density lipoprotein) is good and LDL (low density lipoprotein) is bad, why not run our cooking oils in a centrifuge to separate out most of the bad cholesterol (LDL). since the density of the good and bad are different, shouldn’t it be separable?

I also though that, if the densities were not too far apart, it might just be too expensive to separate them. But it seems like it would still sell well in a health food store.

any comments on this idea? would you buy "pure HDL" cooking oil?

Does anyone know the density of HDL compared to LDL? If I had that information I might be able to figure out on my own how feasible separation would be.

Low-density lipoprotein: 1.019 < d < 1.063 g cm<sup>-3</sup>

High-density lipoprotein: 1.063 < d < 1.21 g cm<sup>-3</sup><P>

It probably isn't economically feasible to seperate them at a commercial level.<P>

yeah, just looking at the numbers I can tell it would be hard.

Ok - high density and low density lipoproteins are made by your body in order to transport non-soluble lipids around the bloodstream. You don't get them from food. They might be present, to a low extent in oils/greases from animal origin, but would be destroyed by pepsin/gastrin in your stomach. If you want more HDL relative to LDL, don't eat as much cholesterol and saturated fat.

Back