Cats don't sleep during the night

Evidence that they are up all night:

http://www.doubleviking.com/videos/page0.html/cats-do-not-sleep-video-proof--10373.html

This is a fastforwarded video of a night with a cat and its owner, trying to sleep...

Nonsense.

As it is obvious from the video, when the man moves and along with him the blanket, the cat moves. Cats can easily wake up if the bed they sleep on is not still, and then they tend to reposition themselves. They also change the side of their body they sleep on several times during the night - much like many humans. Cats don't sleep as if they were dead logs.

Moreover, this cat is apparently very close to its owner, very attached to him, very sensitive to every move he makes. Therefore more likely to sleep very lightly around him.

And also, chances are this cat sleeps a lot during the day, when it is left alone in the house. The nighttime is probably one of the few times the cat has company with its owner. Cats that get their fair share of socializing during the day have no problem sleeping alone and still throughout the whole night (given that they are healthy, well-fed and the room they sleep in is quiet and still).

So in plain English, this cat DIDN'T sleep during the night. Thanks for clarifying...

So in plain English, this cat DIDN'T sleep during the night. Thanks for clarifying...

The title of this thread is: "Cats don't sleep during the night" and in your OP you said "Evidence that they are up all night" - which suggested that the same that was true for that particular cat in the video, is true for all cats. Which is not the case.

You have to get used to my style. I didn't just want to post a "Look, how cute cat!" thread, so I spiced it up.

I have wondered are cats:
A) Nocturnal?
B) Have cycles of waking/napping with little to no relation to if its is day or night?

From what I've seen and heard: Domestic cats tend to be irregular in their sleeping habits, and there can be big differences between individual cats.
Some cats are very regular in their sleeping habits, have a bed or more where they regularly sleep, and they sleep at regular times.
Other cats are completely irregular - where, when changes from one day to the next.
Some cats have periods when they are very regular, followed by periods when they are completely unpredictable.

One of our cats has periods where she comes in by 11P M, goes to sleep and sleeps through until 5.30 AM. And so for a week or so. Followed by some completely irregular days when she is out all night. And then another regular week. And so on.
This one is sterilized - and perhaps whether the cat is sterilized/castrated plays a role in the cat's sleeping and other habits.

If not nocturnal but also night hunters. I guess domesticated cats go by the owner's schedule or they just sleep 20 hours per day... After all, what is the fuss about that thing called life?

hmmm so if you see a video of a goat headbutting a car, would you say that,"Goats attack cars at every opportunity! Here's proof!" and then cite the video, we know what to expect? I'd have preferred "Video of Cat being disturbed by owner! Whose world is it anyway!?"

[holding head in despair]

yes, that;'s what I would do...

P.S.: How can anyone be so stupid to assume that by 1 video I would overgeneralize???

Here is the proof!! Goats attack cars!:

goats-car.jpg

"CAPSHAW, Ala. - The goat was arrested, the Mercedes-Benz was assaulted and the dog came along for the ride.

It happened Sunday when a woman driving the Mercedes saw a goat and dog playing on U.S. 72 in northern Alabama, Sheriff Mike Blakely said.

She stopped, afraid they would get hit, Blakely said. But the goat jumped on the car and wouldn’t come down. Fearing scratches and dents in her import’s paint job, she called the Limestone County Sheriff’s Department. A deputy got the goat down and put it in his patrol car, but then the dog jumped into his back seat too.

The deputy took the dog to a veterinarian and the goat to the home of another deputy.

“If anybody is missing a goat and dog, they need to let us know,” Blakely said."

I once had a cat on my lap all night whilst I stayed up watching films, it fell asleep and even snored.

P.S.: How can anyone be so stupid to assume that by 1 video I would overgeneralize???

You started the thread with an overgeneralization. And you posted it in a serious forum. I addressed your OP at face value.

I don't know you, or how kewl you are and so on. But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't know you and your speshal, kewl ways must be stupid. :eek:

My late moggie wasn't either nocturnal or diurnal, she'd just have a nap when she felt like one. Don't know about other cats.

I notices the goats and sheep are most active at dawn and dusk, perhaps because the sheep overheat during the day (even after a shaving).

My roomates cat is never see sleeping, must only sleep in his room, my old cats would sleep in only specific spots (usually by heaters) but because of their age they were almost always seen sleeping

Back