Cats and sunburns

water

the sea
Registered Senior Member
Did you know that an otherwise healthy cat can get a sunburn?

Yes, this can happen.

We live in the country and our cat is out in the fresh air 24/7. Be it sun or rain -- only in the scorching mid-day sun and in pouring rain does he seek shelter.

We noticed that the hair on his ears was falling out, and thinking that it could be some parasites, took him to the vet. And found out that his ears are scorched from the sun!

I didn't know that this could happen.

Lou,

White dogs? Or clear dogs? Real white should reflect the light. But, cold adapted dogs actually have transparent hairs that transmit the light directly to the skin. Nature's fiber optics.

Rosa,

I'm surprised you thought cats immune to sunburn. Why should they be? If they were immune, we could probably grind them up and make an excellent sunbloack. :D

Don't hate me because I'm innovative. Rather, hate me because I'm a smartass. :p

Anyway, the ears would and around the head would be the likeliest place for a cat to burn as the hair is so short and stands practically on end. Also that little patch between eyes and ears.

No, white dogs, like english bull terriers, dogo argentinos and american bulldogs.
I know what you're saying but its because of their light skin colour more than their fur.

My cat has dark brown hair on his ears, and the skin on his ears is also dark brown. He never had any troubles like that before -- and he is 20 years old!

Lou,

Do those dogs get those sunburns all over their bodies, or only on places where the hair is thinner -- like ears and face?

What creme do you use to ease the sunburn on the dog?
I used my facial creme -- not too oily, regenerative and with UV filters.

They get sunburned around the nose and eyes mostly, yeah where hair is thinner or nonexistent.
I guess aloe vera or something would sooth it. I know boar hunters that zinc their dogs before they go in the sun, it wouldn't hurt to zinc your cats ears.
I'm surprised he's dark brown but I suppose any skin can get burned if its in direct sunlight for long enough.
Maybe the hair on his ears fell out from old age before he got sunburnt?

As for zinc: Yes, I have a creme with zinc. It is rather thick -- and it seems odd to apply it on skin with hair. But, I have applied that too. (Not all cremes at once, mind you.)

Maybe the hair on his ears fell out from old age before he got sunburnt?

Yes, this is one of the options too -- age-related changes.

But otherwise, he's vibrant and lively, he still catches sparrows -- and eats them, and then has troubles digesting them. Poor kitty.

Is Zinc harmful if eaten? I'd be worried about the cat trying to clean itself. It couldn't lick it's ears directly, but it could (and undoubtably does) lick it's paws and then cleans his ears with wet paws before a second lick.

The fur is supposed to protect from the sun, so I'm surprised too. Oh, I heard that in the states where summers are extremely hot, people shave their cats. Poor things, I imagine what happens to them when they come outside.

Back