catholic vs protestant faiths

mario

Registered Senior Member
I'm not sure what either of these sects of christianity believes in but there are big differences between the two. These differences even lead to violence like in ireland. Yet they read from the same bible. Can anybody explain?

The violence in Ireland was not really because of a difference in faiths but the inability of both sides to forgive each other. English hatred of the Irish was long rooted even when both sides were the same religion. The grabbing of Irish lands along with the potato famine only fueled the Irish hatred of England.

Catholics and Protestants don't read from exactly the same bible, since the Catholic bible has the two Maccabbees and Tobit. These books, nevertheless, don't have a great deal of theological material so the difference mainly is that the Catholic Church sees a single Church heirachy, whereas Protestants see a Church ecompassing different sects.

The theological differences is that Catholics do not believe in sola-scriptura which is the belief that the bible alone has God's authority, along with disagreements over salvation by faith alone and salvation by faith and works. Catholics also believe that the Eucharist is truly Jesus in flesh and blood, where as most Protestants reject all of the sacraments except for marriage and baptism. Even, then, the sacraments by some Protestants are seen as symbolic, not producing grace through God.

They don't read from the same bible, well sometimes they don't, there are versions. But like if I wrote "I am bad", every one of you reading that will think something different. Mario, from that line you think I'm a slut. Okinrus, you're thinking I'm feeling guilty about something. What if those opinions were so strong you decided to have a war over it? That makes sense, right? It's all about interpretation.

I've never come across anything that would separate my faith (as a Protestant) from that of a Catholic. But both have come a long way. The differences seem to me to be more on an emotional level. There are some traditions that seem strange to me, mainly because I don't find them in the gospels. But 'strange' and 'wrong' are different things.

My view is that if even Israel themselves could miss the boat, then neither Protestants nor Catholics, or any other denomination, should stake too much on their uniqueness or "spiritual property". Faith isn't proprietary to any religion or denomination, it belongs to God. What makes any Christian faith "unique" is that it was made possible by God, and God alone. It's His Spirit than binds us together as one body, under one faith, and to break that body would be to crucify Jesus again. There might be valid objections and misunderstandings on both sides, but none more valid than what we agree upon.

Catholics and Protestants are like the left and right hand of Christ, both were nailed to the same cross. We were spread apart over sin, but no futher than His feet, which is everybody who proclaims the Good News that our Lord has died for our sins and risen from death to justify those who believe in Him. No church can make this message unavailable to anybody, it can only represent the availability of that salvation.

PS. Okinrus, we accept two sacraments: baptism and communion. We see marriage as a divine institution, but not a sacrament. I'm not sure what that means to you, so maybe you could help me out?

A big difference would be the devotion of the Catholic Church to the Virgin Mary which protestants find repulsive.
Not all protestants. Martin Luther was devoted to Mary.

PS. Okinrus, we accept two sacraments: baptism and communion. We see marriage as a divine institution, but not a sacrament. I'm not sure what that means to you, so maybe you could help me out?
I would view a divine institution as a sacrament because God has joined the couple in matrimony. Since its not the couple's own will that they are joined but God's, it's certainly not man's work. Certainly, then, God gives the couple the grace to fullfill their marriage duties. But it's obviously a different kind of sacrament than baptism and communion, which might explain the different classification.

A big difference would be the devotion of the Catholic Church to the Virgin Mary which protestants find repulsive.
Not repulsive, just unfamiliar. Of course, as a protestant I feel that what a person can't learn from the gospel message cannot reasonably be necessary for his salvation, although anything that engenders or strengthens faith in that message has value. Scripture doesn't waste much time over what we should believe about Mary or the saints.

But I think I gained some precious insights from Mel's movie (which has a subconsciously Catholic perspective). Through the eyes of Mary it was possible to visualize how God feels about us - and about us killing His Son. Mary gives us an opportunity to experience the loss and injustice from a loving parent's perspective.

Jews might think Christians are constantly looking for someone to bear the blame, but imagine how Mary felt. The whole world was condemning her son and she was powerless. After everything she wouldn't remember whether it was the Jews or the Romans, just the mob of people conspiring to kill her son, and that nobody - neither Jew nor gentile - could prevent it. The truth condemned him. In what kind of world can the truth condemn a man to death?

"just the mob of people conspiring to kill her son, and that nobody - neither Jew nor gentile - could prevent it."...does that mean nobody's free will could have changed the outcome? :)

Couldn't pontious pilate have said to the mob "You people are crazy! Why should I condemn a man who has done no wrong, has harmed no one, who's only crime is that he may be a little delusional, to death on the cross? No! Barrabus is more deserving of this sentence."? Since when did the romans alow the common people to dictate to them how they should conduct their justice system? If I was pontious I wouldn't let an unruly prejudiced mob tell me what to do. Having free will should allow for that possibility.

Mario, while Pilate had free will, it cannot be denied that he made choices before the situation that may have limited his free will.

He was also under great pressure from Caesar to keep the peace. He was looking for a way out of the mess, and chose the one that would make the most people happy. Maybe if he had less free will... however, he asserted that he was free from any ultimate responsibility by washing his hands before the crowd.

Back