Casper the Quantum Theory

Oxygen

One Hissy Kitty
Registered Senior Member
According to quantum physics, before the wave function is collapsed it is theoretically possible for something to be everywhere at once, even transcending time. Based on this theory, is it possible, then, that all a ghost turns out to be is a person for whom the wave function hasn't collapsed? Say if back in 1910 the wave function hadn't collapsed on your great-auntie Griselda, it would be possible to see her standing in your living room. Well, you wouldn't be seeing her, but your observation would cause the wave function to collapse and put her right back in the spot where and when she would most likely be. Of course, this doesn't explain why we don't see people from the future, and I'm sure there are plenty of holes in this idea, but I thought I'd nail this one up and let the wind whistle through it.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited March 06, 2000).]

"She knows her mind all right, your Auntie Grizelda,
She couldn't budge a smile and do it for free,
So righteous making fudge, you Auntie Grizelda,
So proper judging others over her tea.
You look just like her, you do,
I know by looking at you
That you've been listening to your Auntie Grizelda..."

Ah, I probably mangled the words a bit, but it's been awhile since I've heard it. My brother has my Monkees 4 CD set, and my turntable is screwed over (it's analog, the stereo is digital) so I can't spin the vinyl.

Man, we've GOT to get together and compare record collections! I scoured a few record stores looking for "Green Fields", but no luck. I did find the New Christy Minstrels, but the store wanted too much for the albums I wanted, so it was fruitless.

P.S.: "Auntie Grizelda" is where I got the name from. It just sounded right.

Back