captive breeding and the survival instinct

pjdude1219

The biscuit has risen
Valued Senior Member
is it possible that in captive breeding of animals to somehow in the quest for more docile animals remove in part or in full the survival instinct of an animal. I ask this because I have seen interactions with my brother's ball python to suggest this. I have seen people take the snake and place its head in their mouth with out getting bitten. everything I know about snaked tells me this shouldn't be possible. any ideas or thoughts. and can anyone explain this?

Can you define 'survival instinct'?

Many snakes play dead, so it could be related to that.

well I'd define as taking steps to make sure one stays the fuck alive. and not biting someone who is acting in a manner that suggest preying upon you definitely says to me lack of survival instinct

Well dogs have been domesticated for millennia, but if you threatened one it would still try to bite you.

It depends how calmly the snake was placed into the mouth and if the snake saw it as a threat. There has also been animal 'hypnotism', and taming of many snakes throughout history.

Maybe if the guy started to bite the snake head properly it would have reacted.

Well dogs have been domesticated for millennia, but if you threatened one it would still try to bite you.

It depends how calmly the snake was placed into the mouth and if the snake saw it as a threat. There has also been animal 'hypnotism', and taming of many snakes throughout history.

Maybe if the guy started to bite the snake head properly it would have reacted.

the people doing it were shit faced drunk

No, the snake's used to getting handled by people, so it allowed it-also means it wasn't hungry enough to strike
...If I had a snake, I'd not allow rowdy drunks to handle it.
Snakes are so easily startled.

Snakes are capable of learning. It has been handled and fed by humans over a longish period. It has learned not to fear humans. Nothing genetic involved.

Back