Can you list here ancient Sufis you know of?

Sufi

Registered Senior Member
Can you list ancient Sufis you know of?

The Religion of Islam has always been communicated and reached out to our day almost in all communities with an approach full of love and enlightenment given out by the spiritual people of loving heart known as Sufis.

Most of the books we read about "truth" in Islam have been written by Sufi authors and their teachings are a treasure for most believers as a rich heritage of Islamic understnading.

Hazrat Ali, Hazrat Abu Bakr, Imam Jafari Sadiq, Junaydi Baghdadi, Bayazidi Bestami, Imam Ghazali, Ibnul Arabi, Abdulqadir Geylani, Ahmed Rufai, Ahmed Bedevi, Abdulkarim Jili, Jalaluddin Rumi are a few of those Sufi masters to note here.

Who else can you list here of ancient Sufis you know of... who have never accepted any material gain in return for their works they have left with us and their services they fulfilled to communicate and make the Religion of Islam understood better among people?

Last edited:
You are playing with words now. Abu Bakr and Ali -may Allah be pleased with them- are not sufi's the way you are. If you define sufi by the old meaning i,e; not imprisonned by materialism then they are sufi's. But, your definition of sufi is more isn't it? Your definition of sufi also mean that they believe in the oneness of existence. And the Great men are not guilty of that.

You missed out Hazrat Umar & Hazrat Uthman.

On the East :

Khawaja Muinuddin Hasan Chishti, Ajmer Sharif, India

Hazrat Nizamuddin, Delhi, India

Hazrat Lal Shabaaz Qalandar, Shewan Sharif, Shewan, Sindh, Pakistan

Baba Farid Shakar Ganj of Pakpattan, Pakistan (Don't give me a knife but give me a needle.!)

Hazrat Sarmad and Hazrat Huri Baree Saheb, Delhi, India

All these sufi masters were referring Allah as God though their vision of God is more deep than the normal view. Ofcourse they were living 500 - 1400 years back.

Do you consider Mansur al-Hallaj as sufi ?

Thank you for your contribution. :)

everneo said:
Do you consider Mansur al-Hallaj as sufi ?

Who has not been inspired by the words of Mansur al-Hallaj and who does not love him other than the blind?

By 'An al Haqq', he declared that man was the Truth; though it is often mistranslated as "I am god". His message was that he was in no way outside the truth --because there was only Allah as the Truth, not him. So it was by the will and power of Allah that these words were uttered.

You cannot will except by the will of ALLAH. (the Koran)

Allah creates you and all that you do. (the Koran)

It is too difficult for humans to put their head on where the Hallaj has put his head, which requires total surrendarence (taslim) but it arrives in the realization of Islam. :)

Last edited:
Hazrat Ali, ofcourse, is well known & revered on many accounts through out world. Rumi(Turkey) and Abdul Kadhir Gilani(Baghdad) were well known sufi saints in the East also.

Al-Hallaj was murdered for his 'heresy/blasphemy' when he seemingly said 'I am God'. One thing his critics forgot is that he had already shed his 'self' alongwith its worldly afflictions and whatever remaining was, ofcourse, Allah/God.

Last edited:
I'm brought to mind of a woman whose name I recall was Rabia. Apparently, she said that she would burn the Kaba'a if it stood in the way of a believer's path to God.

Mansur al-Hallaj leaps to mind for me, as well. Although we may think differently of the word "ancient."

A link for those who are interested: The Tawasin of Mansur al-Hallaj

Kabir of 16th Century India. He tried to forge a Ecumenical understanding between the Muslims and the Hindus. As a Sufi he was able to present himself as an honest broker.

Back