Can we survive without bacteria?

gMan

Registered Member
I did an essay on this subject, to be honest i was very sceptical on how most books actually present the first type of prokaryote cell being formed "as a cause of atmospheric pressure to the elements (in this case being moslty carbon)". I know this was about 3 billion years ago but to me it just dosent seem possible that everything has stacked up just perfect and here we are today. The answer being no we cat survive without bacteria. So who believes we started as a simple RNA chain made of a bunch of carbon and ather attoms? :rolleyes: maybe its too late and i need some sleep :eek:

Well, it doesn't need to 'stack up just perfectly'. If you dumb a million cards on the ground, 48 of them will probably touch each other in the order they came out of the box (Ace-2-3-4-etc). If you have trillions of molecules and a long period of time, chances are they'll eventually line up.

Now you also seem to talk about atmospheric pressure. The only thing I can see this as referencing is the cell wall. It has already been demonstrated that the dynamics of fluid can form such cell walls.

well i think we are talking more than 48 cards here. Even the most primitive RNA would have had more than 300 atoms, it was a long time ago but the probability is very small somehow impossible that you would be able to get a functioning cell or let alone a resisting cell to the temperatures and conditions on earth 3 billion years ago. Please dont get me wrong try and thinking im suggesting the current theory is wrong i just need some more views as how other ppl look at this abstract of how nothing could become something. There was no oxygen back then and the conditions were very similar to other planets we know nowdays yet we seem to predict the first life form was produced.

>> So who believes we started as a simple RNA chain made of a bunch of carbon and ather attoms?

Nah, the established theories presented are out of date and total BS.

The main reason why the process of LIFE's creation is not analysiable is because all organisms have information that could never be learnt... it is ROM information, and humans or whatever can never obtain this information... no matter how much we pull life forms apart into their building blocks.

And just as an extra, we can not survive without bacteria... not in the long term.

Human animals are quite stupid.....

Well.. according to Miller and Urey (in the 1950s mind.. but an experiment that is still taught as the basis of chemical evolution), it is possible to get organic carbon compounds from a combination of methane,ammonia, hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, carbon dioxide and water (all vapours) exposed to an electrical discharge (or UV energy source) over a length of time. (these conditions were supposed to mimic the atmosphere of early earth). They claim to have 'created' amino acids and nuceotides.
The break down of methane leads to production of formaldehyde (CH20) and hydrogen cyanide (HCN), which can combine to form urea (CO(NH2)2) and formic acid (HCOOH). From this base, amino acids can be produced (glycine, alanine, glutamic acid, valine, proline and aspartic acid are the ones used as examples made in this experiment)
I guess from this... that ordering of nucleic acids, and amino acids, into molecules such as RNA was inevitable over the millions of years they existed before life actually developed.

I would say that since all life if based on prokaryotes that there would have to be some radical changes to life without them.

So, no...life as it exists now couldn't exist without prokaryotes.

I think we humens could live without them... the world on the other hand would not.

Evolution apart, we do need our intestinal bacteria. They help out with digestion, outcompete harmful bacteria and produce vitamin K.

Konek said:
Evolution apart, we do need our intestinal bacteria. They help out with digestion, outcompete harmful bacteria and produce vitamin K.

I heard once that our gut bacteria actually regulate gene expression of some of our gut cells!

don't have the reference though.

Found some of it on this site: http://www.mtc.ki.se/groups/pettersson/

"gut homeostasis depends in part on the ability to recognize and respond to bacteria in the appropriate way, by means of modulating gene expression of cells constantly exposed to microorganisms in the lumen of the gut..."

Persol said:
Well, it doesn't need to 'stack up just perfectly'. If you dumb a million cards on the ground, 48 of them will probably touch each other in the order they came out of the box (Ace-2-3-4-etc). If you have trillions of molecules and a long period of time, chances are they'll eventually line up.
If we have an infinite amount of monkeys typing in infinite typewriters, then we can have all the works... blah... blah... blah... :rolleyes:

... ;) :D

Can we survive without bacteria?
To answer the original question...
No. We need them to digest our food, in our stomachs...

TruthSeeker said:
If we have an infinite amount of monkeys typing in infinite typewriters, then we can have all the works... blah... blah... blah...
I'm glad you understand probability. Luckily though, we are not talking about an infinite amount of anything. Just a lot of time with a lot of molecules. And yes, he you put a monkey on a typwriter for a year, they will eventually type the alphabet from A to Z. In this case A to Z happens to form the molecules needed for life.

WellCookedFetus said:
Not really we would just have to limit what we eat.

I don't have the reference, but someone tried this out with "bubble bunnies". They basically raised sterile rabbits obtained from a cesarean section in a sterile environment and fed sterile diets, so they never developed any intestinal flora. They had severe vitamin deficiencies, even if their diet was supposed to provide all required nutrients.

I believe our normal bacterial flora acts as competition for pathogenic or potentially pathogenic bacteria. Invasions of the pathogenic guys, like Escherichia coli (which are normally present) occur when there is a shift in the microflora populations that live in the gut, and they are no longer outcompeted. This isn't always the case, obviously, but the bacteria do prevent us from getting sick.

Persol said:
I'm glad you understand probability. Luckily though, we are not talking about an infinite amount of anything. Just a lot of time with a lot of molecules. And yes, he you put a monkey on a typwriter for a year, they will eventually type the alphabet from A to Z. In this case A to Z happens to form the molecules needed for life.
Yeah well... I'm not going to begin a discussion about that.
I was jutplaying about thethread anyways... :D

Back