Can we grow meat?

Shadow1

Valued Senior Member
that question sounds stupid, but, usually, sometimes in hospitals, when a patiant, make a big surgery on he's leg, and had an accident, and need a skin to cover he's leg, they take some of he's skin, and grow it, then use it, also to some parts of the body like, anyway, is it possible, to grow meat? for example chiken meat :p

Uncertain Technologies

But molecular biologist Margaret Mellon from the Union of Concerned Scientists disagrees.

"Tissue-cultured meat just doesn't make sense to me," she says. "I think it's a very bad idea."

Mellon believes that all our food should be grown lightly on the land, using the riches of the Earth and the power of the sun — not in a factory.

"Picture it: You've got a big compound of buildings with scientists running around tending big vats of cultured cells, making sure that they're all at a constant temperature, that the cells are being kept sterile," she says. "I mean, where does that energy come from? That's a lot of fossil fuel."

So, to recap the opinions on the state of shmeat: It's animal-friendly but bad for the environment; we have the how-to, but not the how-come; unleashing unknown technologies is fodder for nightmares.

And at least one carnivore thinks it's real meat.

"If it [looks] like muscle, if it [smells] like muscle, if it tastes like muscle, that's muscle," Mironov says.

Which brings up one last point: the taste of shmeat. Like chicken, right? Not so, says a source who has sampled tissue-cultured turkey. It tasted like turkey.

that is convincing to me, i'm against :p

Genetically crossed lizards (in which the tail grows back) with pig.
By selection, we maintain the specimens which grows back the leg.
We cultivate ham.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-413551/British-scientists-grow-human-liver-laboratory.html

Working human liver, though it's about the size of a peanut I think. Still in early stages.

newsdesk.umd.edu/scitech/release.cfm?ArticleID=1098

A while back scientists created edible meat in a lab but the process in creating that meat is not economically viable yet.

url

clamato?

Yeah sure, the question should be can we grow it economically and to a flavor quality that makes it competitive with animal meat?

Back