Can God do Everything Logically Possible ???

S

Seeker01

Can or can not?

The answer is Can Not !

The challenge is this:

Napolean won a victory over Austrians with 20000 troops in this actual world.
Question: If Napolean decided to use 10000 troops instead of 20000 troops, will he win ?

Let's say God created another 2 worlds, W1 and W2, and the 2 logical possibilities are:

1) W1 : Napolean used 10000 troops, and he still had the won. Possible!
2) W2 : Napolean used 10000 troops, and he lost the war. Possible!

As we can see, both options W1 and W2 are equally possible, logically possible! And no inconsistency between them.

BUT, God can only make one of them to be true, if W1 true, then W2 can not be true although W2 is possible ;
similarly, if W2 true, the W1 can not be true though logically possible.

Conclusion : God can not make everything logically possible to be true. God is not omnipotent.

I think this questions sums up his argument: "Could God make a burrito that was so hot even he couldn't eat it?" Any takers?

Seeker,

If im understanding you right (and im really not sure) w1 and w2 contradict each other. So although w1 and w2 are both logically possible it is logically impossible for them to both w1 and w2 to exist in the same universe. Therfore the situation you decribed (if i understand correctly) is not logically possible.

Originally posted by Neutrino_Albatross
Seeker,

If im understanding you right (and im really not sure) w1 and w2 contradict each other. So although w1 and w2 are both logically possible it is logically impossible for them to both w1 and w2 to exist in the same universe. Therfore the situation you decribed (if i understand correctly) is not logically possible.

W1 and W2 does not explicitly contradict each other, both are equally possible, but God can not make them happen both.

Originally posted by Seeker01
W1 and W2 does not explicitly contradict each other, both are equally possible, but God can not make them happen both.

How do you know?

If you think it is logically possible that both identical words exist simultaneously, what makes you think that we would know about the other world?

What if it is 300 light years away?

Never mind God. It's a respectable scientific hypothesis that every choice of outcomes leads to the creation of new universes in an infinite multiverse.

Originally posted by Seeker01

Napolean won a victory over Austrians with 20000 troops in this actual world.
Question: If Napolean decided to use 10000 troops instead of 20000 troops, will he win ?

Let's say God created another 2 worlds, W1 and W2, and the 2 logical possibilities are:

1) W1 : Napolean used 10000 troops, and he still had the won. Possible!
2) W2 : Napolean used 10000 troops, and he lost the war. Possible!

As we can see, both options W1 and W2 are equally possible, logically possible! And no inconsistency between them.

BUT, God can only make one of them to be true, if W1 true, then W2 can not be true although W2 is possible ;
similarly, if W2 true, the W1 can not be true though logically possible.

The problem with your argument is that (1) and (2) are not identical situations. The difference between the two is W1 vs W2. Had both situations been on W1 or both on W2 it would be logically impossible. However, because the two are on different worlds, it is possible for God to create two identical worlds (but still not the same) and two identical circumstances which result in different outcomes.

If you still don't get what I am saying, here is an argument parallel to yours:
If I have an H atom [mass#1 charge+1] on my left, and I have an H atom [mass#1 charge+1] on my right, I have the H atom on my left or on my right, but not on both my left and right. This argument is false because they are two identical yet still independent H atoms.

Originally posted by Canute
Never mind God. It's a respectable scientific hypothesis that every choice of outcomes leads to the creation of new universes in an infinite multiverse.
The 'many worlds' theory isn’t very popular among scientists any more.

I think a better way of saying this is that God can do anything but not everything.

Two things:
1. Omnipotence is potential, not active
2. God choose not to break anyone's free will

when 2 options are both logically possible but exclusive from each other, then God can not make both of them possible, he is limited to only one of them----------his choice.

So, God's freewill is also limited by logical possibility, and so he is not omnipotent.:cool:

Back