Caffeine Increases Cortisol (Stress). Should It Be Avoided?

davekm

Banned
Banned
I've looked at some studies on this subject:

Increase cortisol

3.5 mg/kg caffeine potentiated stress-related increases in plasma epinephrine and cortisol stress, more than doubling the responses observed in the control condition. (average intake 500mg)
225 mg daily also increased cortisol response to a task.
300mg daily causes reduced, but not eliminated response.
260 mg increased cortisol and adrenocorticotropic hormone in chronic users

No effect

75 -150mg had no effect on salivary cortisol levels in 12 hr withdrawn (100-500 average intake)
250mg & 500mg no changes in hormones (150-450)
chronic 100mg no effect
300mg no difference students (200-700)

What am to conclude from this? I myself only take in 150mg per day.

The best thing is to try to get the nutrients and amount of them the body needs. As a little ethyl alcohol is okay, a little caffeine could also be.

I've looked at some studies on this subject:

Increase cortisol

3.5 mg/kg caffeine potentiated stress-related increases in plasma epinephrine and cortisol stress, more than doubling the responses observed in the control condition. (average intake 500mg)
225 mg daily also increased cortisol response to a task.
300mg daily causes reduced, but not eliminated response.
260 mg increased cortisol and adrenocorticotropic hormone in chronic users

No effect

75 -150mg had no effect on salivary cortisol levels in 12 hr withdrawn (100-500 average intake)
250mg & 500mg no changes in hormones (150-450)
chronic 100mg no effect
300mg no difference students (200-700)

What am to conclude from this? I myself only take in 150mg per day.

Do you know how milk affects the effect of cafe ? My experience on cafe intake and sleep tells me it does.

Do you know how milk affects the effect of cafe ? My experience on cafe intake and sleep tells me it does.

Caffeine is like any other drug in that the body builds a tolerance to it. At one point in my life my levels were high enough that unless I had some I couldn't sleep. Go figure, taking caffeine so you can sleep.:D

Caffeine is like any other drug in that the body builds a tolerance to it. At one point in my life my levels were high enough that unless I had some I couldn't sleep. Go figure, taking caffeine so you can sleep.:D

The studies I have posted indicate that caffeine still affects cortisol beyond tolerance. That is, the studies not in the "no effect" category.

actually a recent study (which i cant recall where it was sorry) found that drinking 10 cups or MORE of coffee a day had a strong protective effect. Reason i paid attention to it was because my dad worked in an office and spent his whole day drinking one cup after another

Back