Business email etiquette

wegs

Matter and Pixie Dust
Valued Senior Member
Just curious about something. How do you “close” your business emails? To either colleagues or if it relates, clients?

Example:
Looking forward to a productive discussion, Bob. Safe travels!

Best,
Your name

Nothing, no closure. Rarely a greeting. Lets them know you don't have time for such trivial matters.

"Regards" or "kind regards" would be the usual for me, and most people I have dealt with. Sometimes "sincerely" if the email has some opinions in it you're looking for them to consider.

Haven't really come across "best" all that much, but that may be a US/British thing. It works, I guess, but not something i'd use.

"Regards" or "kind regards" would be the usual for me, and most people I have dealt with. Sometimes "sincerely" if the email has some opinions in it you're looking for them to consider.

Haven't really come across "best" all that much, but that may be a US/British thing. It works, I guess, but not something i'd use.
Most of my colleagues use “Regards” but it seems boring. I’ve never really thought much about the “motivation” behind using “Sincerely,” but that’s interesting. You’re basically inferring that you’d sincerely like their input. I don’t see it used too often.

Nothing, no closure. Rarely a greeting. Lets them know you don't have time for such trivial matters.
Not sure if you’re being serious, but I do have a few colleagues who literally never use greetings or closings. They jump right into the heart of the topic they’d like to discuss and only attach their company mandated auto-signature. I wonder where they fall on the Myers-Brigg personality test.

That reminds me of the time before emails and IM when the big thing was voice mail and it seemed like almost everyone at work would say "end of message" at the end of the voice mail. It was just so stupid.

Most of my colleagues use “Regards” but it seems boring.
It's somewhat formal, at least. And formal doesn't have to be exciting. And neutral, so should never cause offence or be taken the wrong way. If it's a non-formal e-mail, written as if just chatting to your co-worker, then I might even just use "cheers", or "thanks", if they've answered a question, but otherwise I'm happy to stick to "regards".
I’ve never really thought much about the “motivation” behind using “Sincerely,” but that’s interesting. You’re basically inferring that you’d sincerely like their input. I don’t see it used too often.
Informal e-mails I'd probably use "sincerely" if I've just given a piece of difficult advice, or constructive criticism, so that it comes across as me being sincere in the advice.
Formal letters, though, I've read that (at least in the UK) it should be "Yours sincerely" if you've addressed them by name, and "Yours faithfully" if just addressed it to Sir / Madam etc. But with t'internet such formalities are seem to be somewhat dying out.

Back