Bug Identification

whitewolf

asleep under the juniper bush
Registered Senior Member
I've seen these bugs that look like roaches, but they're huge, much stronger, and fly.
Most of the time, I've only seen them crawling, and as they do so, they make a loud noise, like mice. They run fast, though.
One made a trip, first falling into my bed (woke me up), along and across my pillow, then jumping from my bed onto a near-by bookshelf; from there it crawled up, fell onto the floor, ran to the other end of the room and around behind a bookcase, up the wall, onto the ceiling, fell again (missed my bed) and made a few more laps! During this time, it fell twice, bouncing off my desk. On its 4th lap, I killed it with a heavy anatomy book. Too insolent.
Another one I saw had long whiscars, quite pretty, like that of a butterfly, only ten times larger. And it flew, oh so gracefully, but a bit heavy, and only a short distance. It made a few more flights like that, then it got onto the floor and I got the courage and killed him.
My mom said they show up when it's humid and hot, but that was not the case tonight, when another one showed up, rustling around in circles on my floor until I killed him with that heavy anatomy book.
My question is, what the hell is the name of that bug? I have never seen this kind! I didn't believe they exist!

I will guess that these are a bit larger than your average roach. It sounds to me like what we call woods roaches. You will find them trying to come in when the weather is fixing to change, like starting in fall. Got a lot of trees outside, a shed that isn't entered much, or the like?

The good thing about those roaches is that they don't live long and the colonies are easy to kill.

thanx!

*looks around the one-bedroom place, mutters "colonies... damn..."

Back