Buddhism

Thoreau

Valued Senior Member
I was just sitting back reading the chaos of insults. The Atheists insulting Christians, Christians insulting Atheists, Christians Insulting Muslims, Atheists insulting theism in general, on and on and on.

So that got me wondering....

Who has a problem with Buddhism?

(PLEASE for the love of sanity, please don't contribute if you know nothing of the Buddhist philosophy. There are plenty of other threads that would love to hear it, not this one).

:shrug:

I guess if the Buddhists pick on me or start spouting things I have a problem with, maybe I could see focusing on that.

You trying to get people to fight? Why don't you get the ball rolling? What problems do you have with Buddhism?

No, actually. I am just curious because not once in the history of this forum have I heard anyone say anything bad about Buddhism.

And as a Buddhist myself, I have no issue with it.

I was just sitting back reading the chaos of insults. The Atheists insulting Christians, Christians insulting Atheists, Christians Insulting Muslims, Atheists insulting theism in general, on and on and on.

So that got me wondering....

Who has a problem with Buddhism?
quite a few people actually

Mark Juergensmeyer, Professor of Religion at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

: Exactly. And you can say 'oh, well, Buddhism is pacifist and holds those values, regardless of where it exists in whatever culture'. That's in part true of the Mahanyana tradition of Buddhism, which in China and Japan and Korea, is one strand of religiosity where there are forms of state religion - emperor worship for example, Confucianism for example - that support the civic virtues and the offices of the state, and in a sense liberate Buddhism from having to take on that moral responsibility.

But this is not the case in the Therevada Buddhist societies, like Sri Lanka or Burma or Thailand, where Buddhism is the sole resource for justifying the morality of statecraft, and there Buddhism is very closely related to state power and the support of the military. There are young men who have become monks, and then have become soldiers, and then go back and forth between those two forms of monastic disciplinary organisations. And it's in those traditions that you have forms of Buddhist warfare. The great Mahavamsa, the Chronicles of Sri Lanka, are all about war between Buddhist kings and Tamil-Hindu kings.

And so all of the traditions of warfare, of violence, that one finds in any other religious tradition are also found in Buddhism - when Buddhism is the dominant social religion undergirding the moral responsibilities of the state.

I talked with Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka who were supporting revolutionary attacks on the Sri Lankan government. These were some of the most authoritative of the Buddhist monks in the sanghas in Kandy, in the central highlands of Sri Lanka, who they themselves had not picked up a sword and fought - although it was a Buddhist monk who had actually assassinated a Prime Minister in Sri Lanka - but they understood and supported those who did. And I said 'How? How can you possibly justify such a thing?' And they looked at me sternly and they said 'Well, we believe in karma, and we believe that those who advocate violence [and by this they were meaning the political leaders that they were opposed to in Sri Lanka] get what they deserve, and it may happen sooner rather than later. And to help the law of karma do its work is not necessarily a bad thing. In this situation where these people have so much bad karma because of the bad things that we're doing, we're actually doing them a favour by releasing them from this life, and thereby allowing them to gain a better karmic control of their existence.'

(PLEASE for the love of sanity, please don't contribute if you know nothing of the Buddhist philosophy. There are plenty of other threads that would love to hear it, not this one).

Monique Skidmore: Dean, Faculty of Communication and International Studies, The University of Canberra

That's certainly an option, but it's also true that monasteries in Rangoon, or monasteries in Burma are known to have stockpiled weapons for example. They've been known to aid and abet resistance forces.

David Rutledge: Monasteries stockpiling weapons, I think people would be amazed to hear that.

Monique Skidmore: They would be, but that's because there's such a romanticised view in the West of this sort of non-worldly pursuit of a philosophy of harmony, whereas in fact these are just people in very vulnerable situations trying hard to do the right thing, and yet quite often they don't have enough food, they're terribly repressed and censored, and it's just not possible for them to be monks in that situation. I think we need to remember the kind of people who are flocking into monasteries as well. There are lots of people who simply can't be fed by their families. Lots of children who don't have anywhere to go, because of the level of poverty in Burma, and obviously that's going to create a somewhat radicalised population eventually.

:eek:

What is it that makes you a Buddhist?

First off, is that bozo or It?

Well, to be precise I practice Mayahana Buddhism. I've been studying it for nearly 6 years now and have found nothing that I disagree with. So to answer your question.... everything.

First off, is that bozo or It?

Well, to be precise I practice Mayahana Buddhism. I've been studying it for nearly 6 years now and have found nothing that I disagree with. So to answer your question.... everything.
Pennywise from IT.

Whats the difference between practicing Buddhism and studying Buddhism?

Pennywise from IT.

Whats the difference between practicing Buddhism and studying Buddhism?

In my eyes, they are one and the same. Buddhism is a way of life, awareness of all things, awareness of self. And practicing is simply training the mind in awareness. Studying is learning from yourself. But they are the same.

And practicing is simply training the mind in awareness. Studying is learning from yourself.
How could anyone be aware of ALL things?

If you are learning from yourself does that mean you dont need Buddhist books or teachers?

Last edited:
No, actually. I am just curious because not once in the history of this forum have I heard anyone say anything bad about Buddhism.

Then you ought to look more closely.

E.g.:

Do you think Buddhsim promises too much?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=73645

Do We Need the Wisdom of the East ?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=75532

Bored of Budha?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=74949

If you have given up Buddhism - how come?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=74338

So you have changed significantly since the time you wrote this -

I don't think I've given up, but I have become less of a practioner; mainly because of my lifestyle and work schedule. I don't have much time lately to devote to things other than what is necessary to my everyday life. I honestly don't have much time for that either. My last car payment was 2 weeks late simply because I did not have the time to stop by and drop of the money due to work and college. I work Mon-Fri from 8am to 5pm. Then I have college classes Monday's Wedensdays, and Thursday nights at 7pm to 9:30pm. The bank is open from 9am to 5pm so by the time I get off work I have no time to go to the bank and drop of the payment. Also 2 weekends a month, I volunteer at a homeless shelter which rules out Saturdays to pay it.

So yeah, I live a pretty busy life. No time for religion.

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1645322&postcount=2

-?

Then you ought to look more closely.

E.g.:

Do you think Buddhsim promises too much?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=73645

Do We Need the Wisdom of the East ?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=75532

Bored of Budha?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=74949

If you have given up Buddhism - how come?
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=74338

So you have changed significantly since the time you wrote this -

-?

Thank you, I suppose use of the search bar would have come in handy had I paid enough attention. :D

one thing about buddhism that people usually have a problem is karma. western people often don't know much about eastern religions, so they don't have any problems with them. but even the eastern religious people, like hinduism, have no problem with buddhism, or other religions.

eastern religions accept other religions. western religions are quite aggressive. if there is yin and yang, western religions are yang and eastern religions are yin. we all know that men (yang) are aggressive and if only women existed there wouldn't be much war on earth. there would of course be other problems then..

Familiarity, especially in the OPs case, breeds contempt. He see's what he wants to see and regards his imaginary delusion of it as reality.

The feeling of being different or better than "those" people is also a factor. I find it impossible to commit to these lifestyle's and i really see no point to it either. Because there is none. Well aside from feeling different and superior, it is actually very selfish. oh, i can go with the flow of things, if i had to, to humor people.

exerpt from OP: The Atheists insulting Christians, Christians insulting Atheists, Christians Insulting Muslims, Atheists insulting theism in general, on and on and on.

So that got me wondering....[emphasis=John]

Wondering what?

Wondering who you can insult?

To be honest MZ i dont see that as much of a problem for you.

Last edited:
Most people think Buddhism means reincarnation in a literal sense, that your "soul" gets reincarnated appropriately to your behavior on Earth. I'm not crazy about that kind of Buddhism, either.

I have a problem with Mahayana Buddhists because 98% of the Mahayana Buddhists I have met, were using the teachings on Bodhisattva as a way to manipulate and blackmail others - that was what was their underlying attitude:

"I am so wonderful, I am so Bodhi-sattva, oooh, adore me. And if you don't, I even have the right to kill you, you know, we have a vow that says so, and so you would do best to obey me and adore me, you worthless little bastard you. Surely in Buddhism, it is a sin to say or even just think about someone that they are not enlightened, but you surely are not enlightened and I may say so to you because I am a Bodhi-sattva!!!"

To say nothing of the deep-seated hatred many Mahayanists have for Theravadans. At the time, I was a Theravadan. I got beaten by Mahayanists (and Vajrayanists and Zenists) a lot. I left.

Back