Buddhism and food restrictions

Mrs.Lucysnow

Valued Senior Member
Why do Buddhists, mostly converted, insist that people shouldn't eat meat when the Buddha himself indulged in mea? I say mostly converted since I have yet to go to a Buddhist country where the everyone wasn't eating meat and fish.

'In Buddhism, the views on vegetarianism vary from school to school. According to Theravada, the Buddha allowed his monks to eat pork, chicken and beef if the animal was not killed for the purpose of providing food for monks. Theravada also believes that the Buddha allowed the monks to choose a vegetarian diet, but only prohibited against eating human, elephant, horse, dog, snake, lion, tiger, leopard, bear, and hyena flesh. Buddha did not prohibit any kind of meat-eating for his lay followers. In Vajrayana, the act of eating meat is not always prohibited. The Mahayana schools generally recommend a vegetarian diet, for they believe that the Buddha insisted that his followers should not eat meat or fish.'

'There is a divergence of views within Buddhism as to whether vegetarianism is required, with some schools of Buddhism rejecting such a requirement. The first precept in Buddhism is usually translated as "I undertake the precept to refrain from taking life." Some Buddhists see this as implying that Buddhists should not eat meat, other Buddhists argue that this is not the case. Some Buddhists do strongly oppose meat-eating on the basis of scriptural injunctions against flesh-eating in Mahayana sutras.

On one occasion, according to the scriptures, a general sent a servant to purchase meat specifically to feed the Buddha. The Buddha declared that

... meat should not be eaten under three circumstances: when it is seen or heard or suspected (that a living being has been purposely slaughtered for the eater); these, Jivaka, are the three circumstances in which meat should not be eaten, Jivaka! I declare there are three circumstances in which meat can be eaten: when it is not seen or heard or suspected (that a living being has been purposely slaughtered for the eater); Jivaka, I say these are the three circumstances in which meat can be eaten. —Jivaka Sutta, MN 55

In this particular sutta, Buddha instructs to a monk or nun to accept, without any discrimination, whatever food is offered in receiving alms offered with good will, including meat, whereas the Buddha declares the meat trade to be wrong livelihood in the Vanijja Sutta, AN 5:177'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_vegetarianism

If this is correct then essentially Buddha was suggesting that its okay to eat what essentially amounts to road kill or some animal that died of old age or disease (yuck!).

Nevertheless there is a contradiction in terms of belief and practice with some eating meat (like the Dalai Lama) and some abstaining from flesh and fish.

So why the schism? Where does dietary restrictions come into play in someone's spiritual quest?

I did not think Buddhists believe much in insisting on anything.

I eat meat but eating meat seems a bit savage and disgusting to me. Eating meat seems like cannibalism and cruelty.

Most Buddhists (Asians not converts) eat meat.

I think the thinking was that if the farmer or hunter was going to kill and eat the meat anyway then it is OK for the Monk to eat some meat. Poor people don't eat much meat and a monk should not start thinking that he should have expensive food.

So why the schism? Where does dietary restrictions come into play in someone's spiritual quest?
Where compassion becomes accepted as a spiritual virtue.

IOW if part of this is part of your diet, a compassionate person might consider an alternative

(viewer discretion advised)

Last edited:
Nothing much is absolutely required in Buddhism, but the precept about vegetarianism is consistent with the rest of the precepts in that it's about getting healthier, consuming less, controlling desires, etc. Buddha acknowledged that a fundamentalist stance is counterproductive, since that is it's own kind of desire. I personally believe that vegetarianism was just one aspect of an entire system designed to alter one's point of view, and I think body chemistry has much to do with that. It changes the body, and the mind follows. Additionally, they probably realized that vegetarian monks tended to live longer.

Nothing much is absolutely required in Buddhism, but the precept about vegetarianism is consistent with the rest of the precepts in that it's about getting healthier, consuming less, controlling desires, etc. Buddha acknowledged that a fundamentalist stance is counterproductive, since that is it's own kind of desire. I personally believe that vegetarianism was just one aspect of an entire system designed to alter one's point of view, and I think body chemistry has much to do with that. It changes the body, and the mind follows. Additionally, they probably realized that vegetarian monks tended to live longer.
huh?

If you have precepts (like the 4 noble truths and the eightfold path) you have details of application

huh? Do you have to sit in a perfect lotus position while meditating? No, it's just a suggestion, but it might help. Vegetarianism is like that. All this is designed to eliminate obstacles to enlightenment, the more you follow, the better your chances.

Of course, this was not designed for the lay Buddhist, not for the masses. They are less serious about achieving any personal revelations and so they may be less serious about the precepts that monks follow.

huh? Do you have to sit in a perfect lotus position while meditating? No, it's just a suggestion, but it might help. Vegetarianism is like that. All this is designed to eliminate obstacles to enlightenment, the more you follow, the better your chances.
precisely, the more details of application you follow (in accordance with the precepts) the better you chances

Of course, this was not designed for the lay Buddhist, not for the masses. They are less serious about achieving any personal revelations and so they may be less serious about the precepts that monks follow.
If you mess up at the stage of precepts you automatically cut yourself a smaller aperture

Why do Buddhists, mostly converted, insist that people shouldn't eat meat when the Buddha himself indulged in mea? I say mostly converted since I have yet to go to a Buddhist country where the everyone wasn't eating meat and fish.
I lived in a Buddhist Temple where the Priest ate meat but some of his family didn't because they said it made them sad to think about the animals pain. :shrug:

(1) My buddy who meditates said he could NOT reach zen when he ate red meat. It was OK when he ate fish. It was best if he abstained from all meat. He basically said Zen is like meditative crack and once you get to it, you'll abstain from whatever to get to it again and again day after day. Eating meat screwed up his body chemistry and so he wasn't able to meditate and no Zen and ultimately made him much more angry-ish.

(2) I don't really think there was a real live Buddha. Maybe. But, maybe not.

Back