Breaking the law (possibly)

Dilbert

Registered Senior Member
Is it morally wrong to do something truely original, which probably is not illegal but has a chance of becomming illegal after you have done it?

Please discuss, but note that i prefer not to answer any questions about the contents of what i am doing.

well, first of all, laws do not always tell you what is moral.

that being said, if you knew it would be considered immoral in the future then, yes, it is immoral. if you didn't know it would be considered immoral in the future then, no, it is not immoral. intentions matter.

I am not sure if it could be considered illegal, it is allready being used, but not neccesarily in a way were you can take advantage of it.

It really comes down to a question like this, Is it immoral to know how to pick a lock? You could use it to do either good (perhaps help a neighbor who has misplaced his key) or bad (perhaps break into someones home)

Either way, even though it is not illegal yet, i would probably just construct it and display its capabilities and not actually use it for "the bad side of lock picking".

Lock Picking is of course an allegory, but it still is somewhat related to my invention.

A secondary question, Is it immoral to construct a device that enables an method which may result in an illegal act? (not use it, merely construct it)

Like building an nuclear bomb, is that immoral, or is it merely immoral to use it?
Note that my invention is not a Weapon of Mass-Destruction :)

Dilbert said:
Is it morally wrong to do something truely original, which probably is not illegal but has a chance of becomming illegal after you have done it?

Please discuss, but note that i prefer not to answer any questions about the contents of what i am doing.

In my state, it is against the law to be in possession of lock picking tools if you are not a locksmith (I assume there must be some kind of licensure). Now having these tools in your home probably wouldnt result in prosecution, but having them in your car, you can be charged with a crime.

Another item that used to cause a person trouble for having is a slim jim (for opening car doors). But again, having one in your garage probably wouldnt be a problem, but having one in your trunk, or under the seat in your car might get you into trouble.

I would check out whether there are ordinances regarding having these tools in your possession is already covered in some obscure law.

Dilbert said:

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that you already know the answer to your dilemma. I also think that you "know" it's immoral.

I think we all have that "something" inside us that lets us "know" such things. I think you're seeking something else ...like a little moral-immoral game so as to make yourself feel better about doing that "bad thing" that you're getting ready to do ...which you already know is wrong.

But as I said, please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Baron Max

legally, to make the weapon might be wrong, but morally I don't think it is. however, like I said, intentions matter, if you make a nuke to kill people, then it is immoral before you even kill them.

my pholasphy is
its not wrong if you dont get caought so sure why not do it?
i wish to know that your invention is if me and you could talk in private on a instant messaging sevivce or soemthnig id love to here it.

There are certain laws they can always nab you under, such as public endangerment.

Theft is theft no matter how one does it.

It is not a weapon, nothing that can harm anyone.

However it could result in financial loss for some, and financial gain for however posseses it. However the financial "loss" for the "losing" party is allready being "lost", and what i am talking about is salvaging that financial "loss" and use it for personal gain.

But unlike a nuke my invention could possibly also be used for a better purpose as well, and help mankind.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that you already know the answer to your dilemma. I also think that you "know" it's immoral.

I think we all have that "something" inside us that lets us "know" such things. I think you're seeking something else ...like a little moral-immoral game so as to make yourself feel better about doing that "bad thing" that you're getting ready to do ...which you already know is wrong.

But as I said, please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Baron Max

Well of course, everything a human does is egocentric.

Dilbert said:
A secondary question, Is it immoral to construct a device that enables an method which may result in an illegal act? (not use it, merely construct it)

Hellz no, just ask Porf, over on his Xlife board!

Back