Blood Suckers

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
How long does it take to evolve this kind of ability? Could Chernobyl have had a part in this?
\
ew070608g.jpg

A steadily warming climate has allowed a species of moth that feeds on human blood to migrate into Finland, according to a report in the nature magazine Suomen Luonto.

There have been nearly 200 sightings of the skin-piercing calyptra thalictri since it was first sighted in Finland in 2000.

Professor Kauri Mikkola wrote in the journal that he doesn’t believe the moth has the ability to carry disease.

Only male moths of this genus suck blood, and the species is also noted for its ability to pierce fruit and suck tears from the eyelids of large animals such as elk and cows, notes Mikkola.

Calyptra thalictri’s blood-sucking behavior was first documented last summer near the Russian port of Vladivostok by moth expert Vladimir Kononenko.

In Professor Mikkola’s article, Kononenko described the puncture made by the moth in his thumb, saying that afterwards his skin swelled and turned a reddish color. The thumb ached for two to three hours following the bite, according to Kononenko.

I had a run in with bed bugs in college, ticks on the farm, etc so I know there are lots of bloodsuckers out there (not even gonna mention the ex-husband ;) )

So. why do mosquitoes and ticks pass diseases, but not bed-bugs or this moth?

And seriously, does Chernobyl have anything to do with it?

There a many, many parasitic flying insects species, not just mosquitoes and moths... wait, moths???

I doubt that this has any relation to Chernobyl.

Partly because in - I'm not sure if it's specific to the carpathia region, or more widespread than that, but there are legends in eastern europe about giant vampiric moths. I'd offer a link, but I don't have anything bookmarked, and have been having trouble tracking anything down.

oh, aparently "march fly" is an Australian name for what the rest of you refer to as a "horse fly"

Some innsects that fly and eat blood:

Diptera (the flies):
Mosquitoes
horseflies, deerflies
tsetse flies
black flies
no-see-ums
gnats
white socks

Those last few are called "biting flies". They use their mouth parts to saw a hole in you, and sponge up blood, rather than using a proboscis, like a mosquito.

Hemiptera (suborder heteroptera, the true bugs):
Kissing bugs
Bed bugs

Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths):
Vampire moths

I'm sure there are plenty more dipterans that feed on blood, and probably other heteropterans. Some moths have evolved a hooked proboscis to anchor under the eyelids of sleeping birds, whose tears they drink.

Lice and fleas are both insects, suck blood, and both in neoptera (the "new wings"), but have evolutionarily lost their wings.

I don't know of other insects that fly and feed on blood in other orders, but there are probably a few

&^%$* No-see-umms fly!? Oh wait, we call chiggers n-see-umms. Are they the same?
and gnats eat blood?

The chiggers found in the US are small mites (very distantly related to insects) whose juveniles parasitize reptiles. Humans happen to be an accidental host. The mites burrow in, secrete enzymes, and begin feeding. They eat dissolved tissue; not blood. Then they leave. The itching is due to the chigger's left behind saliva and the dissolved tissues.

No-see-ums can also refer to flies that are so small they can pass right through mosquito netting.

Gnats do eat blood. They're just so small they don't take long to fill up, and use cutting, piercing mouth parts, instead of the proboscis. Though gnat refers to several families of tiny diptera who have a wide range of feeding habits, including fungus, fruit, plants, or small invertebrates. The generic term "gnat" refers to so many families, I wouldn't doubt that there's a gnat out there for just about everything. Common names aren't very accurate, as you can see.

Back