birth

Enigma'07

Who turned out the lights?!?!
Registered Senior Member
Apes give birth with the face of the baby faceing up. Humans give birth with the face facing downwards. How could this have evolved? The is no creature past or present that gives bith with the face sidways, that would kill the mother and infant.

Enigma'07 said:
Apes give birth with the face of the baby faceing up. Humans give birth with the face facing downwards. How could this have evolved? The is no creature past or present that gives bith with the face sidways, that would kill the mother and infant.
where did you get this info? i went to birthing classes and have been shown human babies being born facing front, back and both sides, even breach.

I read about it in a book written by a medical doctor. A baby could not be born sidways because the soulders would never fit through the birth canal, they would get stuck, hence the baby would be stuck with its head outside and its body in, while streaching/tearing the mother's vagina.

Enigma'07 said:
I read about it in a book written by a medical doctor. A baby could not be born sidways because the soulders would never fit through the birth canal, they would get stuck, hence the baby would be stuck with its head outside and its body in, while streaching/tearing the mother's vagina.
this is true only to a certain extent, I believe. complete transverse birth can be dangerous, but the optimal is left occiput anterior, i.e. the baby is turned slightly with the back of the head (occiput) on mom's left and up (i.e. baby is facing mom's right and spine)

9694W.jpg

i think there's a lot more variation in your original observation than your good doctor has told us. i suspect other Primates have similar variation.

Back