Bioacoustics

Wings

Registered Senior Member
I'm writing a paper on bioacoustics, more specifically: mammalian vocal communication systems. I was haven't been able to find a lot of general information. I was wondering if anyone knew of any useful links.

Well, I don't know if this is the sort of thing you had in mind. These are developmental biology-related material whereas you are probably more interested in physiology-related areas. But, taken together, I think these findings are be absolutely fascinating.

<B>A forkhead-domain gene is mutated in a severe speech and language disorder.</B>
Laiet et al., <I>Nature</I> 2001 Oct 4;413(6855):519-23.

This research suggests that the gene FOXP2, which encodes a putative transcription factor, is involved in the developmental process that culminates in speech and language.

...and

<B>Molecular evolution of FOXP2, a gene involved in speech and language.</B>
Enard et al., <I>Nature</I> 2002 Aug 22;418(6900):869-72.

Enard et al. suggest that FOXP2 is needed in the development of the normal brain circuitry that underlies language and speech. They propose that at a critical point in fetal brain development, affected individuals have only half the normal amount of functioning transcription factor, which is not enough for normal early brain development.<P>

Back