Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

Greatest I am

Valued Senior Member
Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

Education is the only tool that we have to drag ourselves and our children out of ignorance and superstition and that education should include that it is foolish to read myth literally. No more Dark Ages should be allowed.

Comparative Religion should be taught to insure that no child is lost to creationist intellectual dissonance. We must expose our children to Comparative Religion as soon as they can understand Evolution which would be taught alongside of it.

To do less would be shirking our duty to our children and their young minds. If you do not supports this type of all-inclusive education, please show why you oppose it?

Remember that when President Bush backed up stem cell research, it gave other countries a chance to advance away from the U.S. and hurt the U.S economy.

If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly in Comparative Religion and Evolution --- and the various sciences that stem from it, --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power as compared to those countries who have a fuller and more intelligent education program.

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards
DL

It would be very hard to find enough teachers in the US that would teach comparative religion unbiasedly. If such a teacher could be found, I wouldn't want to be around for the shitstorm that parent teacher conferences would be.

What has Satan got to do with Creationism?
Good question. I suspect most Creationists don't know the answer, including the ones who believe this version of Creationism!

Book of Enoch, chapter 29.

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/pseudepigrapha/enochs2.htm#Ch29

This battle is on the second day of Creation. The connection to Satan (here transliterated "Satanail") is found in ch 18:

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/pseudepigrapha/enochs2.htm#Ch18

This book is usually dated at the time of Alexander the Great. His armies came back through or near Palestine on their return from the conquest of Persia. They brought the lore of angels and demons from Persia and Mesopotamia, among other ideas now fused into Christianity.

Note also that the Creators in the first sentence of the Bible, the Elohim ( in the beginning the gods created the heavens and the earth) are themselves created here. You see a huge difference between evolving Hebrew beliefs under the influence of Greece and its transmission of syncretism with Persian/Babylonian myths and legends, versus the modern Christian fundamentalist version of the Creation Myth preserved for them by the Roman Catholic Church ( as the first Christian Bibles).

This account is dramatized in Milton's Paradise Lost, which became the subject of other art and lore in Europe which spread the idea even more widely.

An influential early American Puritan, Jonathan Edwards, agreed with this version. Ironically his sect is linked to the rise of American fundamentalism, though few of them preserved his version of Creation. It was written into Mormon doctrine, and considered correct by Catholics for centuries, probably by considering 2 Enoch as part of the Magisterium, and probably by considering Ch 29 to be divinely inspired, or plausibly so.

Last edited:
There are minimum standards for academic achievement, and teeth in recent laws to enforce them. The curriculum plans are given some state and local control as are textbook selection. In the recent past there have been many abuses, but national standards are pushing back. And of course the Religious Right is countering that, witness the new government they will have installed after the winter break which will likely try to cripple the new standards.

For many decades Creationism has been explained to students as having many flavors, ethnically colored, and overturned by science. Most World History classes begin with a unit which covers animism, syncretism, and the evolution of JudeoChristian myths, legends and fables as a fusion of older beliefs from their ancestors with those of neighboring cults. Big Bang theory, evolution, climate science, and the progress in women's and gay rights are all covered, probably as good as can be expected.

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

A good education is supposed to cure that. And it certainly contributes to teenage rebellion in some homes. But as long as religious indoctrination is not considered abusive, the sheeple will multiply, and the can will be kicked down the road.

But I do think you are stating a case for national standards and removal of the Republicans in 2016.

Last edited:
It would be very hard to find enough teachers in the US that would teach comparative religion unbiasedly. If such a teacher could be found, I wouldn't want to be around for the shitstorm that parent teacher conferences would be.

Buddy ---------

Regards
DL

Last edited:

A great argument.

The secular adult world is better educated in religion than the religious world and that indicates a secular interest in religious studies. If secular parents want to know and teach themselves religious studies, it follows that they would not mind starting their secular interest in religion earlier for their children. They would vote for a more intelligent level of religious education. It would improve on what is being taught to religious children today.

It is also the duty of the secular world to insure that it's future members are not as deluded by superstitious belief as their parents. The tipping point of belief is fast approaching and duty says that we should facilitate change.

Is a good knowledge base a good defence against superstition?

Yes it is.

Regards
DL

What has Satan got to do with Creationism?

I admit Satan to creationism was a reach.

I had read a report on the psychological trauma ex Christian adults had gone through both as children and adults due to their belief in Satan and wanted to link that to how we let our kids down in the school setting as well, in terms of teaching them how to think of religion in the right way which means eliminating the supernatural.

That led to wanting to save their thinking.

Regards
DL

There are minimum standards for academic achievement, and teeth in recent laws to enforce them. The curriculum plans are given some state and local control as are textbook selection. In the recent past there have been many abuses, but national standards are pushing back. And of course the Religious Right is countering that, witness the new government they will have installed after the winter break which will likely try to cripple the new standards.

For many decades Creationism has been explained to students as having many flavors, ethnically colored, and overturned by science. Most World History classes begin with a unit which covers animism, syncretism, and the evolution of JudeoChristian myths, legends and fables as a fusion of older beliefs from their ancestors with those of neighboring cults. Big Bang theory, evolution, climate science, and the progress in women's and gay rights are all covered, probably as good as can be expected.

A good education is supposed to cure that. And it certainly contributes to teenage rebellion in some homes. But as long as religious indoctrination is not considered abusive, the sheeple will multiply, and the can will be kicked down the road.

But I do think you are stating a case for national standards and removal of the Republicans in 2016.

I am not an American but I hope this is remembered when your election roles around. The right does not desrve to rule.

Regards
DL

Get them from Canada. We will teach you Yanks how to become civilized while enjoying life more

Regards
DL

Schools should teach lots of things, but there often isn't time. Every subject should be an elective.

Logic With Dick & Jane & Spot should be taught in kindergarten & elementary school.

airplane2x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Teaching comparative religion wouldn't be high on my list of what should be covered in public high schools. If there is room for it and people want to take it fine but it wouldn't be a priority to me at this level.

Evolution should be taught in biology of course. I think that the best thing the churches could do for atheism :) would be to require every child (and adult) to actually have to read the entire Bible.

I think it's helpful if most people get a taste of comparative religion in college however (but not a requirement). I think the easy access of information via the internet will reverse the spread of religion just as a function of time.

How many people who are currently in their 20's are actually religious anymore?

That would be nice, but i doubt they would want to take a pay cut, and lose their insurance.

We are a charitable lot and do not mind making a sacrifices for semi-good neighbours.

Especially in your warmer states. Many would consider that a great holiday.

Brrrr. Got to go and shovel snow now.

Regards
DL

Schools should teach lots of things, but there often isn't time. Every subject should be an elective.

Strange that in the 1600's 20 year olds could read and write three languages and know many sciences but we more sophisticated people can't even show our kids to read and write one.

What is wrong with our kids? Or is it the parents?

Regards
DL

Teaching comparative religion wouldn't be high on my list of what should be covered in public high schools. If there is room for it and people want to take it fine but it wouldn't be a priority to me at this level.

Evolution should be taught in biology of course. I think that the best thing the churches could do for atheism :) would be to require every child (and adult) to actually have to read the entire Bible.

I think it's helpful if most people get a taste of comparative religion in college however (but not a requirement). I think the easy access of information via the internet will reverse the spread of religion just as a function of time.

How many people who are currently in their 20's are actually religious anymore?

I hear you but as more and more immigrate from East to West, we have to teach more tolerance and Religious studies at all ages is the way to go. IMO.

Not to mention the young minds that we know will be lost to supernatural belief.

Regards
DL

Back