Big skull from 28,000 years ago suggests human brains have started to shrink

That's a cool article. I love it when new technology is used to learn something new from already studied fossils.

Correct.

We are only just now beginning to realize that there are many different ways to wire neurons. While insects have very small brains compared to modern humans, they get a lot more computation out of each neuron and are thus capable of some very complex and sophisticated behaviors and actions. Out of very small brains.

The crux of the human brain is its cerebral cortex, the outer layer. The more cortex you have, the better you can think (I am deliberately keeping this simple for clarity). One way to get more cortex is to grow a bigger brain. Another way is to fold the brain's surface, thus creating more surface area in the same space. More surface area means more cortex. The act of growing and strengthening cortical connections between separated areas of the brain cause the folding as they develop, so heavily used connections get more efficient as you age.

Because one skull was found like that doesn't mean that ALL skulls were that size. Look at all of the skulls that were found in that time era and you will see that the large skull was a rare find, not a normal find.

Or that that particular dude had a big head...

No he didn't - at 6ft tall that particular "dude" was actually smallish compared to most 'cro-magnons' of the day who averaged 6'6".

I'm personally amazed they are admitting this latest find...perhaps they are progressing, I hope so.

Back