Biblical prohabition

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
When put into perspective of the time most of the prohabitions in the bible make sense. Pork for instance can be infected with a nasty bug in the middle east (thankfully we don't have that problem in Australia), shellfish can be toxic if not handled correctly, even the more distasteful like abuse of homosexuality sort of make sense but there are 2 which I just can't wrap my head around

Why on earth would planting different types of seed in same field do anything and what is the purpose of a ban on clothing made with 2 types of material? How would these disadvantage the tribe or kill people to the point that these prohabitions began?

When put into perspective of the time most of the prohabitions in the bible make sense. Pork for instance can be infected with a nasty bug in the middle east (thankfully we don't have that problem in Australia), shellfish can be toxic if not handled correctly, even the more distasteful like abuse of homosexuality sort of make sense but there are 2 which I just can't wrap my head around

Why on earth would planting different types of seed in same field do anything and what is the purpose of a ban on clothing made with 2 types of material? How would these disadvantage the tribe or kill people to the point that these prohabitions began?

Well if you plant two types of seeds in the same field, not knowing much about botanical affects on soil depending on what is growing there, you may plant two things that are not compatible. It also makes sorting the proceeds of the field necessary which is an undue pain in the ass. Also we know God hates cross breeding. lol. wouldn't want any plant hybrids coming up. This could cause slaves to revolt if they had to sort when it is far more simple to just keep one seed type per field.

The best reason I can think of not to sew garments of two types of material is that it makes cleaning the garment a pain in the butt. I used to run a dry cleaners, and you have no idea how often someone would bring something in that was made of multiple fabrics and it was obvious the designer had no idea how the cleaning process works. I remember a dress that was black and white stripes and the black bled all over the white even though it was cleaned according to instructions. but the stripes were made of two different fabrics sewn together intermittently. Then there was the blouse that said dry clean only, but it had beading sewn onto it and the beads all melted off. different fabrics shrink at different rates so you really should make sure all the fabric used in the garment is the same. Too bad the bible writers didn't think about prohibiting using fabric that had not been prewashed or preshrunk. I guess they couldn't think of everything. Imagine a woman back then destroying her husband's best robes because she couldn't properly clean the garment without dismantling it first. She may be stoned if her husband was a prick.

Back