Bible "paraphrase"

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Every day new surprises.

A book has come to my custody which I find remarkable. It is Jack J. Blanco's The Clear Word. This book explains so much, just through a few pages' exposure.

I have often wondered where some Christians get their odd notions. I will address a couple of these momentarily. It turns out that some of them may come from something called a "Bible paraphrase". That is, the Bible rewritten in vernacular. The Clear Word is "an expanded paraphrase to build faith and nurture spiritual growth."

From Genesis:
1. This earth began by an act of God. He created the heavens and the earth.

The earth was only a mass of created matter floating in space, covered with a vapor garment. Everything was dark. Then the Holy Spirit hovered over the vapor,

and God said, "Let there be light ..." (from Genesis 1)
It really is a good editorial summary. Genesis 1 seems more a lesson in how to read creation into pabulum.

And, just to keep the dog pound entertained, we might ask, whence came space?

Of curious interest to me is Genesis 3:
But God didn't carry out their sentence that day. He told them He had a plan to save them. Adam must sacrifice a lamb as a symbol of their Savior who would come and die in their plae. God then took the lamb's skin to cover Adam and Eve's nakedness. God said to His Son, "Man was like us, but he has changed. He now knows good and evil, so he's infected with sin. If we leave him in the garden and he continues to eat from the Tree of Life, he will never die, and he and his descendants will live in sin forever. We can't let this happen." So God sent Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden to till the soil. There tehy would live and work until they died .... (From Genesis 2)
This passage is intriguing to me because I used to ask, "Who was God talking? Who's this 'us'?"
For the man and his wife the LORD God made leather garments, with which he clothed them.

Then the LORD God said: "See! The man has become like one of us, knowing what is good and what is bad! Therefore, he must not be allowed to put out his hand to take fruit from the tree of life also, and thus eat of it and live forever."

The LORD God therefore banished him from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he had been taken. (Genesis 3.21-23, NAB)
Furthermore, The Clear Word seems to present a distortion. There is nothing in the Bible that says God had a plan to save them. Furthermore, let us examine what God says in each account:

? TCW: God said to His Son, "Man was like us, but he has changed. He now knows good and evil, so he's infected with sin. If we leave him in the garden and he continues to eat from the Tree of Life, he will never die, and he and his descendants will live in sin forever. We can't let this happen."

? NAB: Then the LORD God said: "See! The man has become like one of us, knowing what is good and what is bad! Therefore, he must not be allowed to put out his hand to take fruit from the tree of life also, and thus eat of it and live forever."

It would seem that Mr. Blanco, in his "paraphrase", does some considerable spinning and polishing. What reads something akin to fear in every English-language translation of the Bible is here paraphrased as a certain brand of mercy.

And yet I've always wondered, for some have asserted to me that it was, indeed, the Son to whom God spoke in Genesis 3.23, what that indicates. For I have long asserted that God, without whose will nothing happens, whose Knowledge is asserted to complete and total, and whose Will is said to be immutable, planned the fall of Man as an essential part of His plan. That is, God knew before creation that Man would fall, and deigned to forge ahead, anyway.

This would seem to shed some critical light on the notion of mercy; God is merciful--you might kowtow and redeem yourselves for the very inadequacy He has willed. Such it would seem to be.

And these are the problems of careless, propagandous theology. It might suit the feel-good segment, but such determination to make a thing meet one's prior expectations really does nothing more than affirm a priori one's own internal determination and cloak it in a projected externalization in order to exonerate oneself from moral responsibility.

It would seem that God did, indeed, have a plan to save Adam, and it was perhaps drawn up before the Fall.

Is it that God couldn't see it coming, or didn't?

And what the heck is with these paraphrases? I'm wondering how popular these things actually are; it would go a long way to explain some of the absolutely ridiculous Christianity I've heard asserted in my day.

Christ on a pony, indeed.

For the record, Blanco got Leviticus 21.16-ff mostly right. God is just as offensive a bastard as ever in his scorn toward the handicapped, who we might recall would not exist as such were it not for His will.

God is starting to sound all too human. And this thanks to a handy paraphrase of the Bible.

Maybe we can get some holy blurbs for the next great paraphrase. "One Hell of a good read!--The Prophet Elijah" ....

But these paraphrases seem as dangerous to new faith as a Chick tract. Do Christians really go for these things? Is the word of God so badly flawed that it has to be rewritten to make us feel better?

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

From the back cover

From the back cover promotional summary of The Clear Word by Jack J. Blanco:
Imagine how much more you would get out of the Bible if the meaning of every passage were crystal clear.

I thought the Word was clear in its meaning to anyone rightly turned toward the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I guess revisionism makes it easier for some.

Seriously, are these paraphrases of the Bible really popular among Christians?

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Good book review Tiassa.

Now I know not to spend a dime in rhetorical non-sequirtus literature.

If the bible were truly the word of god, would't god had knowledge that we wouldn't understand it's meaning?.

Does not a godly inspired pice of BS literature made simple to understand & read required for the dumb asses who try to intrepert god's words?.

If the bible were truly the work of god, the job of priests would be over, it would be readable to all, understood by all, kind of like a kindergardens book of tales.

Hi tiassa

The bible can be re written as many times as christians would like, it wouldn't mean two hoots to me.

I am "ex-christian". I studied the bible over a long period, and the more I studied it, the more questions I had. The more questions I had, more doubt instilled.

I know that I could accept the bible in ignorance, taking it as face value (which I initially did), but when I asked questions and I was told not to take it literally. Therefore I thought how can I take god literally?

Anyway I'll cut a long story short.

The bible is badly flawed and it reflects the true concept of god, it's a sham.

Last edited:
While I don't believe that God is a sham, I do for one believe that the bible is flawed. The reason for the flaws? Man. It's our fault. We read into things to much, change things to much, and don't listen to our elders. Now, if you would excuse me, Im going to go play Metroid Prime.

Back