Beyond the gene: modern genetics explained

Hercules Rockefeller

Beatings will continue until morale improves.
Need help explaining your genetics work to your extended family? The New York Times published a special section on modern post-gene genetics this past week, helping to make the field of genetic research palatable to even the most scientifically disinclined.

The section, “Beyond the Gene,” explores current issues in genetics for interested non-scientific readers. The section’s articles focused on the changing concept of the “gene,” silencing genes through RNA interference, and a theory connecting autism and schizophrenia to genetics. The section also included two graphics: one explaining the types of RNA, and the other explaining epigenetics. Articles in the section include:

Now: The Rest of the Genome
By Carl Zimmer
Only 1 percent of the genome is made up of classic genes. Scientists are exploring the other 99 percent and uncovering new secrets and new questions.

The Promise and Power of RNA
By Andrew Pollack
RNA interference, discovered only about 10 years ago, is attracting huge interest for its seeming ability to knock out disease-causing genes.

In a Novel Theory of Mental Disorders, Parents’ Genes Are in Competition
By Benedict Carey
A new theory of brain development would change the way mental disorders like autism and schizophrenia are understood.

Scientists and Philosophers Find That ‘Gene’ Has a Multitude of Meanings
By Natalie Angier
Scientists have learned that the canonical “genes” account for an embarrassingly tiny part of the human genome.

Graphic: A Bestiary of RNA
RNA seems to play a powerful role in how genes function.

Graphic: Mapping the Epigenome
A diagram of the epigenome, a new way to look at DNA

I have a natural fallacy falling for father, I've argued with him to no avail, what is a good book to ease him into the idea that homeopathy, chiropractics, natural foods only, etc are all bonk?

The same amount as in your little toe.

A braincell contains 20,000 - 25,000 protein-coding genes, which is the same amount as cells in your little toe have.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many genes are their in the brain?
With a few exceptions, each cell in your body has nucleus which contains a complete diploid genome. So brain cells have every gene in your genome, just like most other cells in the body. This is what Enmos was trying to say. The differences in cell function and appearance are due to differences in which genes are expressed, rather than a difference in the number of genes in each cell type.

Last edited:
And are there any genes which are believed to be playing role in intelligence...emotions or memory....???:)

The same amount as in your little toe.

A braincell contains 20,000 - 25,000 protein-coding genes, which is the same amount as cells in your little toe have.

A brain cell?

What about the red blood cells in the brain. They don't contain 20,000 genes.

A brain cell?

What about the red blood cells in the brain. They don't contain 20,000 genes.
Red blood cells in the brain are no different than red blood cells anywhere else in the body. No nucleus means no genetic material. Red blood cells are one of the cell types included in the "exceptions" above.

So: are we all collectively ditching the classical meme?

Well, don't until my paper comes out in Nat Gen. Which I'm sure it will, because it's just spiffy. Then you can all go be little genetico-anarchists. Just let me get mine out first. Thanks.

But seriously: the end of the classical quantitative genetics meme?

Back