Baby Kicks Out Cancer

Myles

Registered Senior Member
I have just heard on the news of a pregnant woman who delayed treatment for cervical cancer because it would have meant losing her baby. Her gamble paid off handsomely because it turns out that her baby kcked the tumour and dislodged it. The mother is now cancer free. I thought I would share this wonderful story of bravery being rewarded.

Yeah, it was twins, so she had more to lose than one.
Even thought the tumour itself is gone, I hope she gets chemo.
And I thought I read that she got low dose chemo while pregnant. ???

I have just heard on the news of a pregnant woman who delayed treatment for cervical cancer because it would have meant losing her baby. Her gamble paid off handsomely because it turns out that her baby kcked the tumour and dislodged it. The mother is now cancer free. I thought I would share this wonderful story of bravery being rewarded.

That's just awesome. Do you have link to that story or anything? What city was this?

That's just awesome. Do you have link to that story or anything? What city was this?

I heard it on today's one o' clock BBC newsbulletin. All I can tell you at present i that she lives somewhere in England. It will probably be repeated tonight at six and, if so, I shall post any further information/

Yeah, it was twins, so she had more to lose than one.
Even thought the tumour itself is gone, I hope she gets chemo.
And I thought I read that she got low dose chemo while pregnant. ???

I'm not sure chemo was mentioned. I'll let you know if I hear any more

pic of Mom and babies (they are definitely identical twins)

Many mothers cherish the first kicks they feel from their unborn babies.

But unknown to one U.K. mother, the kicking she felt from the twins growing inside her actually saved her life, according to a report from the Daily Mail.

Michelle Stepney, 35, said her twins Alice and Harriet, now age 13 months, were a lively pair in the womb. At the time, however, she had no idea that constant kicking she felt actually dislodged a tumor that had formed on her cervix and, according to doctors, saved her life.

Shortly after becoming pregnant, Stepney of Cheam in South-West London was taken to the hospital after suffering what was believed to be a miscarriage. Soon doctors realized she was still pregnant, but had developed life-threatening cervical cancer. Stepney declined to have an abortion and doctors at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London agreed to give her reduced chemotherapy in the hope of stopping the cancer spreading during the pregnancy.

But it wasn't the chemo that ultimately saved Stepney.

"I couldn't believe it when the doctors told me that the babies had dislodged the tumor," she said. "I'd felt them kicking, but I didn't realize just how important their kicking would turn out to be. I owe my life to my girls, and that's why I could have never agreed with a termination."

I have just checked with the BBC. The only extra bit that I can add to the above is that she refused a hysterectomy. She has now had one and has been given the all clear.

She has been nominated for the Woman of Courage Award by Cancer Research UK

Back