Avian antiaging secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
We have talked about telomere lenght here before in sciforums and how it might affect aging. They looked now at the telomeres in birds and made some remarkable discoveries.

Birds are already quite special because they live relatively long for animals with such a high metabolism.

Short-lived birds such as zebrafinches lost more telomere length than longer-lived birds such as penguins. What was really suprising was that in the Leach's storm petrel (a relatively small bird) with an extreme long life expectancy of 36 years, the telomeres actually lengthened!

Yes...apparently it is the first example of telomere lenghtening...

source:science 13 june 2003, who had it from Proceedings of the Royal society.

ref?

can you provide the proceedings ref please, my online science accessibility has a 5 year lag (maybe it's a 3 year lag)

the evidence sounds cool.

i have a theory that, given the increase in aging related research due directly to the baby boomers enetering the geriatric age, babies born in the 21st century will never grow old

crap, we missed it by one generation

sorry...i was reading it during lunch with a hardcopy of science. I haven't got the faintest clue of the proper ref and am too lazy to look it up. They said in science: 'the researchers reported online last month in the Proceedings of the Royal society.'

that is on page 1653 of vol 300 (science)

I have a theory that, given the increase in aging related research due directly to the baby boomers enetering the geriatric age, babies born in the 21st century will never grow old

It nice to hear someone else tell me I will live forever, sweeeeeet. :D

wellcooked?

well, you have the maturity of a 2 or 3 year old, but I doubt you were born in this century. If you were, my humblest apologies for the hard time I've been giving you because you must be a genius.

:rolleyes: paulsamuel your lack of a sense of humor is down right scary! :eek: you do a hold a grudge don’t you?

I think you 2 used to be colleagues and one day when paul samuel was taking a piss you made a huge discovery and became rich and famous and now paul samuel is bitter about your success.
Is there anyone in your history like that wellcooked?

In may almost 3 years as a undergrad I have met and worked with, some @#$%ed up people, but as of yet I have not meet anyone with the ego problems of paulsamuel, no professor had these qualities because most universities have standards on the kind of people they employ, I can assure you that students would not stand for him, I once corrected a professor in class and he hired me as a intern for it! Just recently though that professor got a complaint from the Universities saying that several student noted him for “unfair treatment”, Now if this could happen to a professor like the one I work for I cannot imagine what would go down with paulsamuel as a university professor on tenure!

oh ya how much you want to bet that because I am honest and stated my self as a undergrad junior majoring biochem/biotech he going to go all over that like a dog humping a leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back