ATTN: wrmgrl

RateLimit

Registered Senior Member
I am not calling you out or anything, but you mentioned that you were a graduate student at UM-Columbia. I was just wondering if you can give me some advice about graduate school, research programs, etc.

Do you have AIM?

Go abroad for graduate school? Where do I have the money?! =/ I already plan on taking one year off before I go to graduate school. I will be a senior this Aug. I'm not sure if I wnat to take a brea BREAK from research or explore things that I might like off. The idea of "defrying" my brain is fruitless if I still work in a lab for the time off. But i don't want to forget anything.

But how reputable are grad programs overseas though?

I will check back tomorrow. It's 430 am here.

I don't know...but the question in europe is: how reliable are the graduate school programs in the US.

Combine these two statements and then we can reach the conclusion that they are probably on the same level.

but there is quite a lot of difference in europe. Especially in the length of the graduate program and the demands for graduation.

Here in finland it would be easy to find a position for a foreigner (mine, a non-fin, took one email, one interview and 2 recommendation letters). There is not really a limit in duration, but usually you have to have 3-4 publications to graduate, plus a certain amount of study credits. You will get about 1200€ a month net, or a bit more. Depends a bit.
The facilities here are usually very good. I don't even have to make my own solutions for instance.

Last edited:
grad school

I was afraid when I clicked on this thread it was giong to be someone else bashing me for my arrogance. Sigh.

This is a question I can answer. Spuriousmonkey is right, going abroad for grad school can be a good thing. Most americans don't do it, because a lot of americans feel the programs are not as good, but europeans think the same thing so they probably are close to equal. It might be nice to go to England where PhD programs are generally shorter than here. I'm planning on going abroad for a short post-doc, and then coming back to the US to do a longer post-doc and set up a lab. It's hard to get a faculty position from over seas because of grants and the like, so if you want to live in the US eventually, keep that in mind.
However, in the US, if it's a science field, you usually get paid to go to grad school. They may have you teach, or you may just get paid for the work you do. This generally covers your tuition (sometimes you have to pay some fees) and you get a stipend.

The amount you get paid varies a lot. What you should really consider, over location, is what kind of work you want to do, and where is the best place to do it. If it's Finland great, if it's Virginia great.

Things you should keep in mind when applying to grad schools. Ace the GRE. American students don't usually put much effort into this test. If you do really well, you may be looking at a fellowship which means more money, more prestige, and less teaching responsibility (usually but not always). Your grades are important also. Make sure you get good recommendations and spend serious time on your personal statement. Make it something orignial that will stick out in the minds of the admissions committee.

Think of going to an affordable area if that's where your interests lie. I live in a town with a very low cost of living, so my stipend goes much farther here. People in more expensive places usually get paid more, as much as $22,000/year where as I get $18,000 but since my rent is less than half what I would pay in New York or California, I make out much better.

Keep in mind that grad school interviews are usually more low key than say a med school interview or the like. Be aware of the schools reputation. Don't be afraid to ask current students which faculty are helpful and which to avoid. Just take your time and make the decision that's right for you.

If you have any more questions that I didn't answer, go ahead and send me a personal message and I'll be happy to answer them.

What is you field of interest?

That's what I am concerned about, my grades are mediocre. So I am really hoping to ace that GRE, and plus I have 4.5 years of research experience as well, so I hope they will overlook my mediocre grades. When I say mediocre I mean, under 3.0 :( So I don't know if I'll ever get into any school right now. So that's why at least a year off for me wold be good. I will have more time for my GRE, and take some classes as well. I still have a lot to fulfill, Orgo and Calc I and II at least. One of my advisors say that Orgo isn't required, just recommended, same for Physics as well. Is this true, because most grad schools I know require Org and Physics and higher Math.

So from what I have told you, what are the chances of me getting into grad school, taking into consideration, all three: mediocre grades, but very good GRE and 4+ years of lab experience in an Immmungetics lab?

As far as my research interests. I'd like to go into Immunology or Molecular Biology. Overseas is not an option, I'd like to stay close to home. Although, New England might be a good idea. I don't know yet. I just don't want to be that far away from home, family is important for me.

chances

I wouldn't rule out your chances of getting in to a Grad School. Reserach experience is a real bonus.
I would say pretty much all biology type programs are going to require you have Org I and II, (most undergrad biology majors can't graduate without it). As for physics and calc, the same is pretty much true. So have you graduated already? What's your degree in exactly?
You have to be careful with having only mediocre grades but a really good GRE. Most committees look at that and wonder why the difference. Are you really smart, but not a hard worker? These are the kinds of things that will worry them. But if you have glowing recommendations and lots of lab experience they may over look it. But they're keeping in mind that you will have to take grad level courses at their institution. To pass most grad courses you have to have a B or better. So under a B average can worry them, but if you prove you're intersted you may succeed.
I know a couple of people whose grades weren't good enough to get into the department they wanted. So they went to a lab they were intersted in and took a job as a technician in the lab. While working, they took some of the required classes for the department and made sure to do well in them. Then they reapplied for admission to the department, after having proven they could do the research and the classwork. It's just an idea.

Hi I have bene very busy lately, but I will reply soon. But I really appreciate your feedback! It makes me put a lot of things in perspective as well as careful planning out my future. I feel a sense of urgency and I shouldn't, things will fall into place on its own, but I;m not so optimistic right now. =/

Originally posted by RateLimit
Hi I have bene very busy lately, but I will reply soon. But I really appreciate your feedback! It makes me put a lot of things in perspective as well as careful planning out my future. I feel a sense of urgency and I shouldn't, things will fall into place on its own, but I;m not so optimistic right now. =/

What is your end goal? What do you hope to accomplish by going to grad school? Do you want to be a professor, do you want to do research? These are the things you have to keep in mind when applying to grad school. If you try, I'm sure you could get in somewhere, and make a good go of it for a PhD or masters and then move on to a really good post-doc if academia is your aim....
Don't get discouraged. I know people with grades like yours in grad school here, and they didn't even have as much research experience as you. It'll all work out. Don't worry.

i concur...grades don't mean anything...

being a phd student is totally different from being an undergraduate. You are doing your own PhD and are in principle reponsible for everything. Although some supervisors seem to think otherwise of course. But you always have to remember that in the end it is your thesis. You have to live with it.
To be able to work independently and guide your own research are more important qualities as a PhD student than studying and getting good grades.

What is your end goal?

I want to earn a PhD in Immunology. I really don't want to teach, but that can be an option though. But I want to do research in Immunology for a government institution such as the NIH, I do not want to go into Industry, things are too organized at that level.

I will be a college senior next fall, do you think it's a good idea to take my GRE next year just to see what I can get on it. I am not a good test taker at all. I am not stupid though, nor overly intelligent. I was diagnosed with ADD this past Spring, but I do not want to use that as an excuse at a grad school interview when they ask about my poor academic performance? Should I even mention this at interviews, would it be a benefit for me? To me it is unacceptable and a copout, to just say, " Oh I failed some of my Bio classes because of my ADD!" No, I just can't bring myself to do that.

I don't know how else though, to explain my academic difficulties. I was never like this in HS, so I doubt it's ADD. What do you think is the case with me?

I have so much to add onto this, but I'm so tired right now. But I think I've given you enough to work with for the rest of the night ;)

And thanks again for your input.

Spuriousmonkey as well, feel free to add on.

Thanks guys, I used to think I have goals and directions, but I don't want this to affect my future. Of course I still have all these goals, but I'm afraid it's going to take longer to reach them, which I am not looking forward to. I always wanted to follow the traditional route -- four years of undergrad and then straight to grad school. But I feel like what has happened this past two years, I have out my life on hold, and I am fully responsible, because I was never disciplined enough. And I wish I would have realised all these things earlier, and now I feel like, it can't be fixed. At least not, immediately, which is what I'd prefer.

Originally posted by RateLimit

I will be a college senior next fall, do you think it's a good idea to take my GRE next year just to see what I can get on it. I am not a good test taker at all.

I would recommend you don't take the GRE until you have had a chance to study thoroughly and prepare. Some schools will look at all scores from each time you take the test and average them or just take them into account. Take lots and lots of practice tests, there are now computer programs you can buy that simulate the questions and format. These are a huge help, so you don't have to read directions or get confused when it comes to the real thing.

I don't know how else though, to explain my academic difficulties. I was never like this in HS, so I doubt it's ADD. What do you think is the case with me?

I had a friend who had a serious head injury that caused this exact same sort of problem. She had medical evidence to prove it. But when she applied to Vet School, multiple times, she didn't get in because the dean of the Vet School just thought she was lazy. She did eventually go on to grad school, but there was serious concern and she worked in the department and took classes (and did pretty well) before applying, so she was well known. I think you are well aware of the problems you will face. I think you probably need to prove you can ace all your classes, especially science classes, prove some sort of turn around. I know of a student who did so much research in undergrad her grades were bad because she worked too much and didn't study enough. She had a tough fight to get into grad school, eventually she got in.

I just don't want you to be discouraged, if you work hard, you can overcome these obstacles, but be prepared to run into a few more walls along the way.

Back