atmosferic effect on growth... basicly a quistion

orcot

Valued Senior Member
I recently read a article that because of the extra CO2 in the atmosphere. Causes plant's to grow fasther in the amazonia.

This made me a bid wonder.
Most power plants are still based on coal for heating and produces massive amounds of CO2.
How much of the CO2 would be reduced. If you bilded a large amound of green house around the power plants with a atmospfere of around 10% nitrogen 80% CO2.
Offcourse this is only a example.

Anyway, the plants inside would grow massivly while they absorbe the CO2.
Leaving only O2 and H2O like normal plant grow does.

Their are offcourse a lot of problems like ashes, and the fact that any human inside would suffocate. But most of them could be resolved.

If you places the exit pipes under water, then the ash would lay at the bodem or drift on top, where it can be extracted. And humans would in fact still be able to enter as long as they carry breathing gear.

I was wondering if there were any particulair reasons why this more effective, money winning and cleaner way of energy production wouldn't work.

And in case it work, what do you think would grow best in sudge a enviroment. Sponges and algae for fertilisations or actual plants.
How much N and O2 would still have to be present. How much CO2 could be converted into O2.
And least would the harvest still be eadeble.

Interesting thought. You would want to grow trees with long life spans. Anything else and the plants would simply put the CO2 right back into the atmosphere when they decomposed. At least this way you are trappping the carbon inside the wood for a century or two.
I'm not sure how economical it would be as you would require a lot of land and a bloody big greenhouse. You might end up using more energy (and generating more carbon dioxide) to extract and refine the materials to make the greenhouse than you would save by capturing the CO2.

I wasn't wrealy thinking about storing it in wood because wood takes relativly long to grow.
Youre right that the green houses should be enormus to convert all the CO2. It proberly wouldn't
even be possible to convert all the gas.
But the factory could clean it of ashes and hazerdus products like sulpher. And sell it to who ever
owns a big green houses. High consentrations would be leathel for humans without breathing gear.
So it would proberly also be lethal to any kind of insects. And therefore their wouldn't need to
be that many pesticides, that and the plants grow fasther.
The green houses near the power plant could grow either crops and sell them. Or grow plants/fungi or algae.
I heard their are certain one celled creatures then multiple evrey couple of hour. These would be wreal nice
Because they live in water, and therefore you can work with m³ in stead of m². These could then be scoped from the bodem.
dried near the furnace, and be re-used for fuel or be sold as fertiliser.

I wonder how much CO2 a insect could take. And how damaging a leak in the green house would be for the surounding enviroment. Can't be that much right.

But the point is orcot that if you sell these on as food for animals or humans the humans then very efficiently convert a substantial part of the food to - you guessed it CO2. Then the bacteria finish off converting the rest. If you want to have any effect at all you have to remove the CO2 from circulation. (Literal and metaphoric). There are three ways of doing this I can think of off hand.
Tie it up in wood.
Pump it into reservoirs in the ground.
Convert it to carbonates.

There I agree. This proces would give the inpresion of being enviromentally friendly, but in fact it isn't as promising like you would think at start.

The only thing about it that's remotley would reduce the CO2 emision would be that you can dry the (biomass), and reburn it. Therefore you need less coal.
This could be somehow promising I believe (hope).

A other thing is that solids are relativly easy to dumb in the ocean. If you dumb them in the deap sea. The bacteria would die from the cold/pressure, and hopefully the ocean would absorbe the carbon (I'm not to sure about this, but I'm guessing it's a whole lot safer then dumping uranium in it).
Perhaps if you dumb them deep enof the pressure will alter it in some sort of chalk. Wich is pretty safe for the marine life and also doesn't get the bad habit of floating up again.

Do you think it's a option?

Back