atheism tax shelter

cato

less hate, more science
Registered Senior Member
hi, I was wondering if an atheist group could be considered a religion, and thus be tax exempt.

does anyone know? heh, maybe sciforums could be a tax shelter =].

I agree, perhaps if atheism became a tax shelter, like other religions, the ever more religious government would be more motivated to tax them all.

Fortunately atheism isn't a religion:

"Religion: a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny"

That's just one of many similar definitions, all of which have "supernatural" or "spiritual" or "faith" in the definition.

well, you could argue that it is a "faith based" company. people have faith in atheism. I think as long as you hold a service, and talk about your beliefs, that you would qualify. I could be wrong, after all, most law makers in this country are Christians, and would rather not see a church of atheism.

[ 1000th post =) ]

cato said:
hi, I was wondering if an atheist group could be considered a religion, and thus be tax exempt.
I've often wondered how hard it would be to become ordained a Shinto/Buddhist priest set up a small shrine and then declare yourself or house or land - tax exempt. Is it possible?

cato said:
maybe sciforums could be a tax shelter =].
yeah, why not? We talk more about religion here than most will EVER in their church!

cato said:

does anyone know? heh, maybe sciforums could be a tax shelter =].

Heh, this might actually be possible. Just make something up like 'we are the
worshipper whom submit to the cavernous yield of the blue head' and only
admit atheists.

A belief in the supernatural power of the collective human consciousness is a belief in the supernatural, is it not?
A million people acting in concert can do what a single person can not, therefore, the collective is supernatural.

Church of the Assimilated? (sorry, geek moment. it passed.)

If you created a specific church doctrine that does not believe in a God, yet does believe in a "higher power"...

I don't see why it couldn't be done, The Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic is a chruch and Universal Unitarians, while not professing any specific belief in God, have their own church.
Why not Atheists?

Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism can all be said to be Atheistic religions.

I do not think that religious instituions have a tax exempt status. I think they get their tax exempt status due to being non profit organizations.

one_raven said:
If you created a specific church doctrine that does not believe in a God, yet does believe in a "higher power"...
The higher power could be the guy who started sciforums, 'he who runs the server'

It is a joke that churches have tax excemption, they are basically a social club for people with unusual beliefs

What if someone set up a religion that's main law was that taxing is immoral...
That would been that forcing you to pay tax could be considered a breech of human rights........

Back