Atheism In The Popular Media

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
I was watching The Education Of Max Bickford when, near the beginning of the episode, Max makes a comment that indicated that he does just fine without religion and God thankyouverymuch.

We all know what happened next, don't we? That's right -- a major medical problem involving a close member of his family. Now let's skip to the end of the show-someone prays for a miracle (in this case, Max's son), and when next we visit the hospital, the Dying Close Member Of The Family has made an incredible recovery. Not only that, but the doctor, as he leaves the room, attributes it to "God's Good Grace".

Do you think it would be possible for just one character on television or in the movies to mention or imply that she/he is an atheist without next having the Almighty in the next scene kicking said character in the privates, just to prove a point?

Peace.

Six Feet Under

The best line yet uttered on a telivision drama: "You don't actually believe in this do you?" or something to that effect. She didn't relent and pray later on. Perhaps it is the honest nature of the show. It exposed the small-minded individuals behind the church doors.

Our view is out there. You just need search for it. Bill Maher did an open discussion about theology. Boy did it make the other side look bad. I guess it helps that he is an atheist.

Popularity contest...

Not one network, would deny a religious nut to speak, not one sitcom, would fail to show that god is all good, forgiving, and makes miracles happen. Why? Popularity is what runs the network, not too many artists would admit openly that they are atheists. Nor would news brodcasters, nor anyone who happens to be famous in the media, such as recording artists, no matter what format of music they are in, wether Rock, or Rap, they all thank god at the Emmys.

I saw three nights ago the AACP, award show, it seemed like some church gathering of black celeberities, they all praised god, and jesus for winning thier awards, "I wonder whom the loosers praised too?"

Politicians also stay in the popular realm by advocating religious convictions, not one politician that I know would openly admit of being an Atheist. Except one maybe, however everyone thinks of him as a nut, Jesse Ventura.

Back