Astrology is scientific theory, courtroom told

(Q)

Encephaloid Martini
Valued Senior Member
Astrology would be considered a scientific theory if judged by the same criteria used by a well-known advocate of Intelligent Design to justify his claim that ID is science, a landmark US trial heard on Tuesday.

Under cross examination, ID proponent Michael Behe, a biochemist at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, admitted his definition of “theory” was so broad it would also include astrology.

Behe maintains that ID is science: “Under my definition, scientific theory is a proposed explanation which points to physical data and logical inferences.”

“You've got to admire the guy. It’s Daniel in the lion’s den,” says Robert Slade, a local retiree who has been attending the trial because he is interested in science. "But I can’t believe he teaches a college biology class."

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8178&feedId=online-news_rss20

I don't see where the physical data is for there being a god. I could see how a dumb person could think it is a logical inference, but there is no data, that I can see, to support intelligent design (ID)

kazbadan:

ID is a theory called "Intelligent Design", which postulates an unnamed Creator of all life on Earth. The ID movement is a new front for the Creationist movement, which would like to wedge Christian teaching, and particularly the literal truth of the bible, into school curricula across the United States.

yes, ID and astrology are both scientific theories, but then again, the idea that all matter is made up of earth fire water and wind is a scientific theory, merely an outdated and incorrect one

ID is not a scientific theory because it can not be verified/checked with scientific methods.
It is an assumption.

isnt that what a theory is, an assumption? once it has been proved, it is called a law.

and it can be checked, you just have to wait until you die :p

Back