Astaxanthin

outlandish

smoki'n.......
Registered Senior Member
Astaxanthin, a naturally occurring carotenoid pigment, is a powerful biological antioxidant. Astaxanthin exhibits strong free radical scavenging activity and protects against lipid peroxidation and oxidative damage of LDL-cholesterol, cell membranes, cells, and tissues. Astaxanthin has been the focus of a large and growing number of peer-reviewed scientific publications.

http://www.astaxanthin.org/

Safety of an Astaxanthin-Rich Haematococcus pluvialis Algal Extract: A Randomized Clinical Trial.

J Med Food. 2003 Spring;6(1):51-6

A growing body of scientific literature indicates that astaxanthin is a more powerful antioxidant than other carotenoids and vitamin E and may confer numerous health benefits. The purpose of this investigation was to conduct a human safety study with a Haematococcus pluvialis algal extract with high levels of astaxanthin. Thirty-five healthy adults age 35-69 years were enrolled in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 8 weeks' duration. All participants took three gelcaps per day, one at each meal. Nineteen participants received gelcaps with an algal extract in safflower oil, containing 2 mg of astaxanthin each (treatment); 16 participants received gelcaps containing safflower oil only (placebo). Blood pressure and blood chemistry tests, including a comprehensive metabolic panel and cell blood count, were conducted at the beginning of the trial and after 4 and 8 weeks of supplementation. <B><I><U>No significant differences were detected between the treatment and the placebo groups after 8 weeks of supplementation with the algal extract in the parameters analyzed, except for serum calcium, total protein, and eosinophils (P <.01)</U></I></B>. Although the differences in these three parameters were statistically significant, they were very small and are of no clinical importance. These results reveal that 6 mg of astaxanthin per day from a H. pluvialis algal extract can be safely consumed by healthy adults.

Nothing beneficial to the body can be qualitatively ascertained in a mere 8 week period, one cannot judge the human body and it's overall well being by such emperical methods, rather a more holistic, long term and wider perspective must be taken into consideration.

I would avoid the use of the word "holistic" but yes multi-year studies are necessary in testing the anti-oxidative properties. Oxidation and free-radicals are one of the theorized causes of aging and cancer. Perhaps studies of creatures with short life spans would provide psuedo-long term information.

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
Oxidation and free-radicals are one of the theorized causes of aging and cancer.

Damn smokers and their second hand smoke Free radicaling my body all over..*shakes fist*....

These results reveal that 6 mg of astaxanthin per day from a H. pluvialis algal extract can be safely consumed by healthy adults.
I think is the importance of having an 8 week trial though. Just to make sure the stuff didn't kill anyone...

Back