Are you a heretic for not believing what I do?

§outh§tar

is feeling caustic
Registered Senior Member
Can anyone explain to me what a heretic is?

Let the Salem witch trials begin.. ;)

Last edited:
Easy, just look it up in a dictionary.

Definition heresy [Show phonetics] noun 1 [C or U] (the act of having) an opinion or belief that is the opposite of or against what is the official or popular opinion, or an action which shows that you have no respect for the official opinion: Radical remarks like this amount to heresy for most members of the Republican party. She committed the heresy of playing a Madonna song on a classical music station.
2 a belief which is against the principles of a particular religion: He was burned at the stake in the fifteenth century for heresy.

heretic [Show phonetics] noun [C] a person who is guilty of heresy

heretical [Show phonetics] adjective Her belief that a split would be good for the party was regarded as heretical.
(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Looks like I´m a heretic :(

So, the real question, SouthStar, is are you a heretic? If you're a heretic then not believing what you do pushes us a step closer to legitimacy. :p

invert_nexus said:
So, the real question, SouthStar, is are you a heretic? If you're a heretic then not believing what you do pushes us a step closer to legitimacy. :p

In a world of denominations, factions and individuality.. I suppose we are all heretics..

But since we are talking about religion, the "norm" is dictated by interpretation which automatically makes dissenting viewpoints heresy... Doesn't sound fair ta me..

The word heresy originates in the Greek hairesis, the noun formed from the verb haireomai (to choose). At base, heresy means consciously opting for a set of beliefs, and thus, one can say that a heretic is pro-choice.

Heresy is best defined as a crime of perception. ;)

So, from the greek, heresy means choosing your own religion. To not be a heretic means taking what you get and not trying to pick and choose your beliefs.

This isn't the literal definition, but from a Christian perspective, a heretic is a member of another Christian sect ... thus, to a member of the Serbian Orthodox Church, everybody in Northern Ireland would be a heretic. A heathen, conversely, is someone entirely outside Christianity, say a Hindu or a Taoist.

That makes everyone who claims to believe in the "same thing" a heretic, no?

Tell me invert_next and StarOfEight, are you heathen or heretics? ;)

Well, I would consider myself a heathen. Which means that I don't buy into the christianity crap. But I could be capable of heresy in the proper situations. I have often considered starting a cult for shits and giggles.

Calling Christianity "crap" is considered heretical, I would assume.. Cults also aren't considered too holy in our eyes :cool:

If you ain't Christian cool, then you're a heretical fool. :p

StarOfEight said:
This isn't the literal definition, but from a Christian perspective, a heretic is a member of another Christian sect ... thus, to a member of the Serbian Orthodox Church, everybody in Northern Ireland would be a heretic. A heathen, conversely, is someone entirely outside Christianity, say a Hindu or a Taoist.
M*W: I thought the definition of "heathen" means the same thing as "pagan." "Heretic" also means someone who holds opposing views to Catholicism. Then, there is someone who is an "apostate." From memory of my xian days, I recall that an "apostate" defies the teachings of the Catholic church. But what about the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholics? That's heresy.

This isn't the literal definition, but from a Christian perspective, a heretic is a member of another Christian sect
No, this is not a definition that Protestants nor Catholics use. The Protestant definition of heretical typically means any belief outside of mainstream Christianity such as mormonism, jehovah witnesses, and denominations which deny the Trintiy.

... thus, to a member of the Serbian Orthodox Church, everybody in Northern Ireland would be a heretic.
No, the Orthodox church is schismatic, not heretical. While specific doctrines can be considered heretical, the sin of heresy occurs only if the individual has been baptized along with the other conditions for the sin to be mortal.

A heathen, conversely, is someone entirely outside Christianity, say a Hindu or a Taoist.

Calling Christianity "crap" is considered heretical, I would assume.. Cults also aren't considered too holy in our eyes

If you ain't Christian cool, then you're a heretical fool.

But that's the thing. Is a non-christian capable of being a heretic? Or just a heathen. Seems like this conversation has got us nowhere. Whichever I am it doesn't matter. When the church begins to flex it's muscles once more, I'll end up on the stake just the same.

The question, Southstar, is what are you? I have a strange feeling that you'd end up on the stake as well. Unless of course you're so weak that you'll forgo your current convictions and return to the dogma espoused by whichever church is burning heretics in the area at any given time. Although, at least you're not one of those ancient of days guys. What's up with that anyway? Which cult does it represent?

I think an apostate is someone who not only denies some teachings of the Church but renounces them. A heretic seems to assent to doctrines that contradict to the Church while believing in other doctrines that the Church teaches.

SouthStar,

It was just a joke, what's wrong with a little humor?

If you, as a religious person, wish to be taken seriously, you need to learn that there are things that simply aren't funny. There are things that are not to be joked about.
One can joke, of course, but keep in mind that once in the realm of a religion that you want others to respect -- don't be surprised when people react negatively if you joke about things that are fundamental to your belief.

RosaMagika said:
SouthStar,

If you, as a religious person, wish to be taken seriously, you need to learn that there are things that simply aren't funny. There are things that are not to be joked about.
One can joke, of course, but keep in mind that once in the realm of a religion that you want others to respect -- don't be surprised when people react negatively if you joke about things that are fundamental to your belief.

I'm sorry :(

invert_nexus said:
But that's the thing. Is a non-christian capable of being a heretic? Or just a heathen. Seems like this conversation has got us nowhere. Whichever I am it doesn't matter. When the church begins to flex it's muscles once more, I'll end up on the stake just the same.

The question, Southstar, is what are you? I have a strange feeling that you'd end up on the stake as well. Unless of course you're so weak that you'll forgo your current convictions and return to the dogma espoused by whichever church is burning heretics in the area at any given time. Although, at least you're not one of those ancient of days guys. What's up with that anyway? Which cult does it represent?

I doubt I'll end up being complacent. ;)

What are "ancient of days guys"? I dont think I've heard that term before..

okinrus said:
I think an apostate is someone who not only denies some teachings of the Church but renounces them. A heretic seems to assent to doctrines that contradict to the Church while believing in other doctrines that the Church teaches.

What do you mean contradict to the Church? Contradict to what the Pope says? Or what the majority says?

Back