Are the Dead Sea Scrolls circa 200 BCE?

Medicine*Woman

Jesus: Mythstory--Not History!
Valued Senior Member
M*W: I just read somewhere that the DSS can be dated back as far as 200BCE. Have any of you folks heard that? I thought they were dated sometime after the 1st century.

Comments, please...

Most of them yep. 350BC - 100 AD. The thing you are thinking of, is there are the only biblical documents(we have) before 100AD.

Most of them yep. 350BC - 100 AD. The thing you are thinking of, is there are the only biblical documents(we have) before 100AD.
M*W: Okay, then that would mean that the DSS were written BEFORE the Epistles and then the Gospels... hmmm... very interesting! What do you think that means in terms of the writing of the NT??? Everything that is written in the NT would have been taken from the DSS! I would like to hear more from you about this. I've just learned something I didn't know before!

Radiocarbon dating puts the book of Isaiah at between 335 BCE and 122 BCE.
M*W: That's interesting. I knew Isaiah was one of the older texts (after Job), but being in the OT, that's probably not as odd as the DSS and the NT timeframe. Thanks for your input. I'd like to know more.

Some of the DSS are more recent, however. They were written over a long period of time. Centuries.

M*W: Okay, then that would mean that the DSS were written BEFORE the Epistles and then the Gospels... hmmm... very interesting! What do you think that means in terms of the writing of the NT??? Everything that is written in the NT would have been taken from the DSS! I would like to hear more from you about this. I've just learned something I didn't know before!

There is a guy who claims one of them(a very beat up fragmented one)...resembles something out of the gospels...he's really stretching it I think.

Many of the experts on these, regard them as mostly the former property and make of the Essenes. Certainly these guys had an influence on early
Christians.

My own facination with the DSS, is that many were the "Book of Enoch". I take it to show just how widespread this book was or must have been, in the time of early Christians. I really wish I knew the "fly on the wall" reason Constantine did not include the book. Perhaps because it shows such deep and obvious influence of Zoroastrianism and before that too, and obvious ripoff of Sumerian history/mythology.

I heard around 150 BC. First fragments of Genesis are 60 AD. Dates back to 1000 BC are claimed for some books but where is the evidence? The same for the NT gospels which may have been written as late as 180 AD, yet some claim they were written as early as 45-54 AD for Mark, which is believed to be the earliest, but again no evidence. we have a few verses from 125 AD that ended up in John, then nothing till around 200 AD and suddenly we have whole books.

Back