Are chickens from double yolked eggs twins?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Was making eggs today and I had 2 of them so 3 eggs ended up with 5 yolks.

Anyhow, are 2 chickens coming from separate yolks but from the same egg twins?? And if so identical or not??

They are twins obviously, but I seem to remember that they are not identical twins.

They are twins obviously, but I seem to remember that they are not identical twins.

Might be, I think. At least from what I gleaned from reading this:

Finding conjoined birds is rare because they likely die before being discovered, Rowe said.

X-rays of the pair found each bird was fully formed, Rowe said. She said the birds would have had to come from a double-yolk egg.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/07/18/national/a150156D13.DTL&tsp=1

Or can fraternal twins be conjoined?:confused:

Nope. I thought one of them had a cut and the other bird accidentally got its foot stuck through it. Then the would closed up trapping it.

They now sell double yolk eggs by the dozen atthe store. I see them advertised on TV.
When we found double yolked eggs on the farm, my Mom started keeping an eye out for the one that was laying them. She said they were nearing the end of their egg laying abilities and would need to be butchered. Kinda like double yolk = chicken menopause. Have no idea if its true

Actually, it's the youngest and most fertile hens that have the higest incidence of double yolks. It happens because two yolk sacs from the ovum are released at the exact same time and will be encased together in the egg. It's not a result of identical twins, just that two yolk sacs were released at the same time from the hens' ovary and came down the assembly pipe at the same time.

Older hens have a much less likely chance of laying double yolks because their ovaries slow down, not produce doubles.

And yes, the yolk sac is what feeds the embryo. Double yolked (or twin) eggs don't survive to hatching, because there is simply not room in the egg for two hatchlings to survive.

More info here; http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/Chicken_Egg_Excess/double-yolk-eggs.php

There has been as many nine yolks in an egg.

Last edited:
... Double yolked (or twin) eggs don't survive to hatching, because there is simply not room in the egg for two hatchlings to survive....

....There has been as many nine yolks in an egg.

I don't believe either of those. I bet they do survive and are smaller than average chicks. They probably have a lower survival rate than a 1 chick egg. And on a farm, we wouldn't know if the chicks came from a single or a double yolked egg. How would you? :shrug:

Do you have a link to the 9 yolk story?

The egg within another egg thing is pretty freaky !

yeah, never seen that before. The only way I would expect to see one of those is if I raised chickens. They would never pass inspection to make it to the store.

How do they know it's a double yolk egg?

Lamps ;)

sm-lamp-4.JPG

Back