apathy, ignorance and greed

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
The causes of social problems exist on many levels. When we ask why social problems such as poverty, unemployment, crime, and war exist, each time we determine a cause, we can ask "why" again, as children often do until they are hushed. Poverty exists because some folks can't find jobs or the jobs pay poorly. But then why is the wage level so low? Because of the tax and land-tenure systems. Why do we have those systems? Because special interests pay to legislate it. Why do special interests get away with it? The voting structure lets them. Why does that structure exist? The voters don't demand to change it. Why not?

When we dig down through all the layers to the roots of the causes, we find three fundamental causes of social problems: ignorance, apathy, and greed. The ultimate remedy for social problems therefore must confront all three root causes. It does little good to just run down the street shouting "share the rent!" or "stop war!". Uttering a slogan does no good unless it arouses sympathy.

http://www.progress.org/archive/fold21.htm

i herd a story once (not sure if its a true story or not)

its about this guy in the death camps and he goes and went something like

"when they came for the jews i did nothing, when the came for the disabled i did nothing, when they came for the gays i did nothing, when they came for the catholics i did nothing, and when they came for me there was no one left to save me"

Back