Anyone seen the "Future is Wild" series?

GeoffP

Caput gerat lupinum
Valued Senior Member
I'm watching the "Future is Wild" series by Discovery and I was curious to know if anyone else has seen it. I like the overall setup and all that, but I think some of the suppositions are out to lunch. They postulate the near extinction of the fish, but not the sharks. :rolleyes: The "flying flish" are all wrong IMHO and I dunno about basic reptiles and amphibs going out either. Unless we wipe them out, they're likely to be around a long time: they already made through Permian-Triassic, Triassic-Jurassic and K/T. Seriously. Massive sunlight block only means they'll go sleepy for a few years, like they did in K/T. I mean, reptiles came through practically unchanged! Come to think of it, small mammals did too. Hmm. I can't see the small verts going out unless absolutely everything did simultaneously, leaving only the insects.

yeah it is an amazing film, I think they over fantasized in it thou...I mean the fact that Earth will be inhabited by walking huge octopuses on land, thats a bit too much.

03.jpg

I liked the huge blue bird thou...:rolleyes: UV protection skin

Yeah that was good. I kind of wondered about the giant squid though...I think that cephalopods are definitely a good candidate for more evolution, but the physical limitations on a form like that would be substantial. Muscles constantly flexed to support the body? What if it got a cramp?

:roflmao:

Yeah that was good. I kind of wondered about the giant squid though...I think that cephalopods are definitely a good candidate for more evolution, but the physical limitations on a form like that would be substantial. Muscles constantly flexed to support the body? What if it got a cramp?

:roflmao:

well they said...the thing will have many feet and thus its weight will be distributed...but still...:rolleyes:

I realize you can't compress muscle (much, anyway), but it's a lot of weight. What did you think about the desert hoppers?

Those were okay. A lot of interaction was being postulated. Could be. I still don't think that small verts would have gone out like that. We've been around almost as long as the inverts, you know.

Is this the show that had the giant whatever walking through the sea of 'jello' eating with its feet?

I think that might have been Alien Planet. That was cool too.

Nah, just locals. The Future is Wild series was just about Earth.

I think that might have been Alien Planet. That was cool too.

was that where those robots went to a planet and octopus guys killed them?
Am I getting them confused? Because I thought The Future is Wild had octopus taking over as well.

FIW did also have cephalopods suggested as the next dominant life form for the earth. I remember the aliens from Alien Planet - they did look kind of cephalopodish too.

Back