Anyone know anything about dissection?

weebee

Registered Senior Member
got a question for all the brainy people out there. Its been widely popularized that the Vesalius’s drawings of the female vagina are as an internal penis. How correct is this –i.e. if the method of his dissection was used today would the picture look similar or different, and why?

thank you!
Ingrid.:rolleyes:

hay,
As far as I know, from the drawings I've seen he stopped short of cutting the vagina open. I suppose you could say he ‘reveled’ the vagina in the pictures but did not dissect it. But since I have never dissected a body I’m not sure that this is correct.
:p

well, the human vagina is most certainly not an inverted penis- the vagina, while not sexually aroused, is collapsed, forming an "X", if you were to take a cross section. When sexually aroused, however, the vagina engorges w/ blood (just like the penis) and becomes mor dougnut-shaped (in cross-section)

The vaginal canal is internally angled to the same degree that the penis is angled away from the male's torso, so the angles match nicley. However, the shape of the uterin/vaganal junction does not resemble the head of a penis, so I'd say he's a bit off (without haing seen any of this drawings)

it is currently thought that the head of the penis is designed to pull out the sperm of a rival male during copulation, freeing up the area for your sprem (your as in the guy curently mating) The foreskin and the riged head work well for pulling liquid out, and leaving it on the outside of the vagina.

Cheers for that!

Can I just ask what it would look like for the dissection (X or donut shaped?) And can you easily cut right through it if its collapsed?

I should point out that it seems likely that the guy never did human dissection, but based most of his findings on apes…
:D

Back