Anyone else pissed about extrapolation?

GeoffP

Caput gerat lupinum
Valued Senior Member
Because I am.

I was watching "Walking with Dinosaurs" and in addition to the evidence shelle out which you could get from skeletal morphology and the like, there was a ton of physiological add-in which we simply have no idea about; that certain mammal-like reptiles supported offspring with milk. There's no doubt evolution is right, and this stuff probably isn't far from reality, but is it really necessary to present stuff we can't really glean from fossil evidence as fact? We're shooting ourselves in the foot here.

Geoff

1. Walking With Dinosaurs is entertainment.
2. My recollection is that the presumptions were clearly identified as such.
3. Consequently, I am not pissed off.

It's entertainment, all right, but there were a swath of presumptions not identified.

I'm still pissed off.

Geoff

National Geographic Specials are full of that. Still entertaining :) What bugs me more is narrators who try to fit animals into arbitrary storylines, or pretend they know what they're thinking...

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE Walking with Dinosaurs. This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that we would have liked to have had years ago.

And yeah, I can appreciate that Kenneth Branagh's just an actor, but for Darwin's sake, who's checking the copy or the thinking before it gets to press? Jeez. We don't know that the freaking mammal-like reptile (which are pretty cool, I think: I like the wierd stuff more than the dinos) actually lactated, unless someone has trod on its fossilized tit. No one? No one has? OK, let's ease up on the speculation then. Sure, it may have had them. Give it a pair of Pamela Anderson double-D's if you like, just say the word "maybe" in there once or twice, for the Geoffer, c'mon.

Or maybe the Zionists have Kenneth Branagh strapped into a chair, making him narrate the evils of evolution against his pious Happistic belief system whilst masturbating and leaning to one side. The animals.

I will keep all updated on dinos and Branagh's perceived situation - perceived through a veil, which is to say, dimly.

Currently, it's "Branagh Day 0".

Geoff

Back