Antropomorphisms

overdoze

human
Registered Senior Member
As a newcomer to the religion forum, let me introduce myself as yet another atheist. :eek: So I used to hang out mostly in the sci area, but noticed there's a lot of posting here and sometimes by some rather intelligent people. I lurked here for a while, and observed the faith wars. And now I've got to ask y'all something, especially the intelligent types.

See, intelligent people being religious is just something I can't grok (I'm not saying it's impossible; I just can't wrap my mind around the concept.) Personally, I can imagine only pretending to be religious, but even then it'd be hard for me to do without overtly cracking up (then again, I was never very good at playing pretend.) But here I find some pretty brainy people professing belief in creators and such, so maybe some of you can enlighten me a little.

Basically, my main problem is how very human religions are. Possibly religions are the finest example of the human mind projecting itself onto the environment above and beyond all utility. I'm not even going to go into the personification of animals, nature or even the entire universe in the pagan religions. I'm not even going to expound on the human-like gods with their human-like motives and escapades of various polytheistic and monotheistic faiths.

But let's just focus on the most advanced, the least precise, the latest and greatest monotheistic religious notion of a vague universal creator. Is this not ridiculously anthropomorphic?

In our daily experience, goals are set and met. So by extension we project a goal upon the universe itself. Or rather, we refuse to accept a universe that has no goal. And on what basis do we draw such a firm line? Apparently, no other basis than our own conscious experiences of our own narrow human circumstance.

In our daily experience, causes give rise to effects. So by extension we project an ultimate cause upon the "effect" of the universe itself. On the surface this might even appear reasonable. But what I don’t get is how one jumps from a causality within the universe, to a causality applied to the universe’s very existence. We might as well conclude that because life stems from life the universe itself is alive. Or we might conclude that because air carries sound, air is itself a sound, or that because fire spewes smoke then fire itself is smoke. Even more weird, how can you possibly find the notion of an “uncaused cause” self-consistent? How can something that is not causal spontaneously become causal and yet remain a-causal all the while?

We are complex, and yet we can’t (so far) give rise to anything nearly as complex as ourselves via artifice. Is that the reason why we tend to semi-automatically insist that natural complexity can only arise from even more complexity? Why is it that for so many people, many quite intelligent, the notion that complexity self-assembles out of simplicity is so inaccessible, despite the overabundance of real-life examples? How very human for us to pretend that sentience, consciousness, etc. can only be borne from such and cannot rather be merely an emergent phenomenon on top of far more primitive processes. How myopically self-centered the notion that our fine structure is somehow more fundamental than its own simple building blocks – to such a point that we posit our imaginary and impossible uncaused cause to be the pinnacle of sentience, consciousness, etc.

So confined are we in the prison of the self that we find it nearly impossible to disengage from the human and contemplate the universe in absence and apart from ourselves. Is that it? The true deep drive behind theism is an obsessive-compulsive entanglement with the self? A never-ending, pathological human game of pretend projected onto the universe at large.

Last edited:
Originally posted by overdoze
See, intelligent people being religious is just something I can't grok (I'm not saying it's impossible;

So you think Malcolm X was unintelligent?

But let's just focus on the most advanced, the least precise, the latest and greatest monotheistic religious notion of a vague universal creator. Is this not ridiculously anthropomorphic?

No, just anthropomorphic.

How can something that is not causal spontaneously become causal and yet remain a-causal all the while?

Because He is pure Spirit.
Whereas our bodies are made up of matter, His body is made of pure spirit.

How very human for us to pretend that sentience, consciousness, etc. can only be borne from such and cannot rather be merely an emergent phenomenon on top of far more primitive processes.

Maybe we think that way because we are human. I’m sure it's hard for most humans if not all, to imagine non-existence, and maybe it is this way because it is not a natural state of existence on any level.

So confined are we in the prison of the self…

I would say the body.

…that we find it nearly impossible to disengage from the human and contemplate the universe in absence and apart from ourselves.

Why do we need to “disengage from the human” to contemplate the universe?

Are you able to disengage?

The true deep drive behind theism is an obsessive-compulsive entanglement with the self?

Anything is possible, but for me that is not the case.

A never-ending, pathological human game of pretend projected onto the universe at large.

Are you a poet?

Love

Jan Ardena.

"Because He is pure Spirit.
Whereas our bodies are made up of matter, His body is made of pure spirit."

You say "his body is made of pure spirit" may I ask what a "pure spirit" is made of??

Originally posted by Centaurus1
"Because He is pure Spirit.
Whereas our bodies are made up of matter, His body is made of pure spirit."

You say "his body is made of pure spirit" may I ask what a "pure spirit" is made of??

Apologies, i said His body is made, i should have said "His body is pure spirit."

Thanks. :)

(Pure means not contaminated by any matter. )

It is not made. If it was made it would be material. Spirit is the lifeforce, it is eternal, blissfull and full of knowledge, or as described in vedic literature, Sat, Chit, Ananda.

Love

Jan Ardena.

So...

Out of all the people on this forum, only one taker? And at that, admitting unabashedly to sheer anthropomorphism and apparently seeing no problem with it. I'm a little disappointed.

But I'll take what I can get. So, Jan, why do you think anthropomorphic metaphysics is acceptable?

So...

Out of all the people on this forum, only one taker? And at that, admitting unabashedly to sheer anthropomorphism and apparently seeing no problem with it. I'm a little disappointed.

But I'll take what I can get. So, Jan, why do you think anthropomorphic metaphysics is acceptable?

Forget it eh!:)

Love

Jan Ardena.

forget what?

Well Jan at least I commend you on your, ehm, bravery. Which is more than I could say for the rest of 'em. :bugeye:

Love it is, then. Like I said, I'll take what I can get. :D

Re: forget what?

Well Jan at least I commend you on your, ehm, bravery.

Bravery?
What are you talking about?

Which is more than I could say for the rest of 'em.

Why are you so arogant?
Are you hiding something?
If you wish to debate then do so, preferably with your head out of your arse? :p

Love it is, then.

??

Like I said, I'll take what I can get.

That is all you will ever take.

Love

Jan Ardena.

erm...k

Anyone else at peace with anthropomorphism who'd actually care to comment? Is it perhaps unclear why I don't think anthropomorphism is acceptable? Has anyone here ever questioned it?

Hello overdoze.

It's been my observation that those who do not believe in/deny
God do so because of anthropomorphism. Why? Because those who generally lean towards anthropomorphism, when considering the existence of God, attribute to God only that which they consider to be within the known parameters of human understanding, motivation, characteristics or behavior.

Welcome overdoze..

Don't worry much about Jan, this one has even questioned the very air she/he breaths.

I've doubt she/he understood your argument, without looking for the definition of anthromorphism.

You wont get much debate with this one.

As seen already.

The reason why I think theists tie anthromorphism to gods, is very similar to the coment made by Cronin, humans have to work with their known parameters. This is why Jesus was made man, yet he was also lord, god, whatever. Other religions use similar methods, however none claimed to be son of god, as did Jesus.

They were enlightent by the spirit of god.

Welcome overdoze! A very nice first post here. I don't have a lot to add at the moment but I'll do what I can. :)

…but let's just focus on the most advanced, the least precise, the latest and greatest monotheistic religious notion of a vague universal creator. Is this not ridiculously anthropomorphic?

I also find that it tends to be vague to the point where the assertion becomes ridiculous.

Apparently, no other basis than our own conscious experiences of our own narrow human circumstance.

Note here that our understanding is necessarily bound by consciousness. We have no other measure by which to gauge.

We are complex, and yet we can’t (so far) give rise to anything nearly as complex as ourselves via artifice. Is that the reason why we tend to semi-automatically insist that natural complexity can only arise from even more complexity?

The truth is the reverse. Complexity arises from simplicity. Sperm and ova are much simpler than a fully developed human; solar systems are more complex than clouds of gas, ice, and rock. Theists will point to the "watch in the sand" analogy but refuse to recognize that if the natural laws of physics allowed for such things to be created naturally we would find watches all over the place.

~Raithere

Originally posted by Godless
Don't worry much about Jan, this one has even questioned the very air she/he breaths.

Iiiiiiiiiiiii did not! :eek:
I asked whether it was possible to see air.

I've doubt she/he understood your argument, without looking for the definition of anthromorphism.

You’re probably right, way too complex.
Oh by the way its an-thro-po-morphism. ;)

You wont get much debate with this one.

As seen already.

Examples please.

The reason why I think theists tie anthromorphism to gods, is very similar to the coment made by Cronin, humans have to work with their known parameters.

That’s a fair enough comment, but tell me, as an atheist what do you know that is outside your known parameters and how did you come by that knowledge.
If you are saying that humans (theist and atheist) are thus limited, then what is your point?

This is why Jesus was made man, yet he was also lord, god, whatever.

You state he was “made” man, doesn’t that suggest a higher intervention (at least nature), therefore how could he be God.
He was “lord” because of his devotion to Supreme Lord but he was not God.
There is no indication in the Bible that Jesus is God.

Other religions use similar methods, however none claimed to be son of god, as did Jesus.

They were enlightent by the spirit of god.

Is that within known human parameters?

Cronin,

It's been my observation that those who do not believe in/deny
God do so because of anthropomorphism. Why? Because those who generally lean towards anthropomorphism, when considering the existence of God, attribute to God only that which they consider to be within the known parameters of human understanding, motivation, characteristics or behavior.

So basically what you are saying is atheists don’t believe in God because theists generally only believe in God based on their understanding of human motivation, characteristics or behaviour. With all due respect, are you not generalising and assuming more than you could possibly understand?

within the known parameters of human understanding, motivation, characteristics or behavior.

What are the known parameters of human understanding?

Love

Jan Ardena.

Hello Jan.

Contrary to what I believe overdoze was saying, I am saying that it has been my observation that atheists anthropomorphize when considering God moreso than theists. Granted, this is a generalization. Most atheists, however, work within much narrower parameters than do theists when considering God and are therefore more apt to deny God. Generally speaking, an atheists' understanding of human motivations, characteristics and behavior comes from a much narrower sphere of influence. For example, most atheists are show-me minded and tend to insist that if God existed then God would show himself in a material form to prove his existence to them. Theists, on the other hand, have sensed the existence of God and have opened themselves up to God in a non-material, non-human dimension which does not depend upon matter and form.

Cronin...

Quote: "For example, most atheists are show-me minded and tend to insist that if God existed then God would show himself in a material form to prove his existence to them. Theists, on the other hand, have sensed the existence of God and have opened themselves up to God in a non-material, non-human dimension which does not depend upon matter and form."

This is called "belief" by faith, faith in what they seem to sense is really true, faith in what other authorities have tought them for centuries, i.e. ancient texts such as the bible, vedas, q'uran, what ever. These books if inspired by god, or authored by god, have been found to have many discrepancies. Therefore proven to be writen and inspired by men.

Re: Cronin...

Originally posted by Cronin
Hello Jan.

Contrary to what I believe overdoze was saying, I am saying that it has been my observation that atheists anthropomorphize when considering God moreso than theists.

I understand what you mean now.
Good point, I’ve never looked at it that way.

This is called "belief" by faith, faith in what they seem to sense is really true, faith in what other authorities have tought them for centuries, i.e. ancient texts such as the bible, vedas, q'uran, what ever.

I think you will find Godless that people who use just faith to understand God, tend to be be quite fickle in their belief (no disrespect intended to anyone). It is not until our faith is backed by knowledge and experience that our faith becomes strong.
That is usually the case in any department of life.

These books if inspired by god, or authored by god, have been found to have many discrepancies. Therefore proven to be written and inspired by men.

If these books were inspired by God, it would be impossible to find any discrepancies, as God is outside of the mundane sensory perception, based on these scriptures.

I would also liked to add that I have never ever read or seen anything inspired by men, which is outside our sensory perception i.e. time, eternality.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Hello Godless.

Yes, theists have faith and a belief system as do atheists. What we are discussing here, however, is anthropomorphism. It has been my observation that when considering God, anthropomorphism is found more in the atheist population rather than the theist population.

Cronin..

In your observations have you failed to see, the "Him", "Lord", "He", when speaking about god? if this is not anthropomorphism, I really dont know what else is?.

Also in my observations of movies, legends, ancient stories, etc. gods are anthropomorphous, such as Zeus.

However we as humans have failed to be anthropocentric, which really is what should be discussed with the issue at hand.

Quote"Yes, theists have faith and a belief system as do atheists.

This is wrong, athiest have lack of faith, lack of belief in theism this is why we are called atheists.

Originally posted by Cronin
It's been my observation that those who do not believe in/deny God do so because of anthropomorphism. Why? Because those who generally lean towards anthropomorphism, when considering the existence of God, attribute to God only that which they consider to be within the known parameters of human understanding, motivation, characteristics or behavior.

Good point. It's somewhat funny that the very tendency that historically generates religions also serves to demolish them once people learn more about the universe.

However, regardless of particulars assigned to a god, does not the very belief in god itself (or psychological need for such a belief) strike you as anthropomorphic/anthropocentric to a fault? That's what I was trying to say in my first post here.

The reason why I think theists tie anthromorphism to gods, is very similar to the coment made by Cronin, humans have to work with their known parameters. This is why Jesus was made man, yet he was also lord, god, whatever. Other religions use similar methods, however none claimed to be son of god, as did Jesus.

This, I understand. What I want to know is if the theists understand, and more to the point how they make peace with the anthropomorphism of their tenets.

For example, I find anthropomorphic/anthropocentric explanations inherently flawed, regardless of content, due to that very nature. If humans are a special case in the universe, then one can hardly expect many non-human things in the universe to be amenable to anthropo-ergic explanations. If humans are derivative from the universe, then one can hardly expect that human properties/concepts apply to that from which they derive. Where there is no data, filling the void with human speculation is an invitation to futility at best -- even as historically demonstrated to date.

Originally posted by Raithere
Apparently, no other basis than our own conscious experiences of our own narrow human circumstance.

Note here that our understanding is necessarily bound by consciousness. We have no other measure by which to gauge.

Interesting, and very to the point. However, have we not obtained our concepts and thinking processes from the universe at large? If we were suspended in a sensory isolation tank from birth, we would hardly have minds and be capable of any thought at all. So perhaps our tools are not that of consciousness but of observation and interaction with the universe?

Anthropomorphism results not from observation so much as from introspection. Or is that wrong? Maybe we could classify anthropomorphisms into those that are introspective vs. those that are generalizing. But then again, in the latter case we should just say "generalization" rather than "antropomorphism" -- especially since, presumably, humans aren't the only entity in the universe capable of overgeneralizing.

The truth is the reverse. Complexity arises from simplicity. Sperm and ova are much simpler than a fully developed human; solar systems are more complex than clouds of gas, ice, and rock.

Exactly. Which makes the refusal to acknowledge as much, puzzling.

Theists will point to the "watch in the sand" analogy but refuse to recognize that if the natural laws of physics allowed for such things to be created naturally we would find watches all over the place.

? I thought creationists claim that life is the equivalent of the "watch".

[btw: thanks for the welcome. :)]

Last edited:
Back