another adrenal related question...

visceral_instinct

Monkey see, monkey denigrate
Valued Senior Member
somewhere I read that if you want to put on more muscle, you shouldn't exercise for more than 45 minutes, because after that your adrenal glands start pissing out cortisol which 'eats' muscle. is that true or just a dodgy piece of pop science??

Interesting question. I don't know the answer however.. sorry.
My guess would be that it's nonsense.. but lets wait for the answer :)

It really depends on the intensity of the workout, and the intention of the work out.
If the intention is to gain muscle mass, you don't want to work out for more than 20-30minutes. After that, you have really reached the maximum benefit of the workout, and you need to let your body rest. It is actually somewhat easier to loose muscle mass from working out than it is to gain muscle mass. If you go into an intense workout with not enough carbohydrates and protein in your body then yes, your body will start to break down its own fat a muscle tissue. This is why it is important to go into a workout after eating a high carb, medium protein, medium fat meal. After the meal, eat high protein. Even after the workout, your body can turn to its own muscle mass to replenish itself.
45 minutes would be good if you are just trying to tone your muscles.

V. I, I'm not sure of the absolute biological processes involved with working out but common sense and observation, as well as a lifetime of being fit and active and having worked in labouring jobs and experiencing periods of extreme cardiovascular fitness and doing heavy duty workouts would indicate that the more you train, the fitter and stronger you get.
Have you got a concept of how much training elite athletes do?
Long distance swimmers do an extraordinary amount of time in the water, for example. I don't think working out for 45 minutes at a time will do any harm whatsoever ( good technique and knowledge assumed).
Marathon runners would consider 20-30 minutes as a warm up/down jog.
Labourers working hard jobs day in day out don't exactly waste away.

Sorry skaught but I think the assertion that it's easier to lose muscle by working out than gaining smacks of urban myth.

Sorry skaught but I think the assertion that it's easier to lose muscle by working out than gaining smacks of urban myth.

You're absolutely right, but if you are doing a seriously intense workout, then 20-30 minutes is sufficient. But if your just toning or trying to get in shape, then no 20-30 minutes is not sufficient. Maybe I didn't make that clear. V.I was sking about "putting on more muscle". And if you want to gain muscle mass, you have to be very careful.

If you want faggot muscles, then yeah, work out at high intensity, then quit in half an hour or forty five minutes. Good for nursing tumors on your arms. Not good for anything else.

Yes, after about an hour of semi-intense resistance training you will build up cortisol, but its nothing to worry about or will hinder you. Some drugfree bodybuilders can work out for 2 hours a day and build up fine. You grow the muscle 24 hours later so just make sure you eat enough then.

OVERTRAINING will occur if you push yourself too hard every day though, and thats your CNS burning out

If you want faggot muscles, then yeah, work out at high intensity, then quit in half an hour or forty five minutes. Good for nursing tumors on your arms. Not good for anything else.

What's the with the fucking homophobia you ass?

Thanks for the advice dazzlepecs.

Back