Animals in space?

Jordan

Registered Senior Member
I was just thinking of the "possibility" of some kind of species that actually live in space, just flying through it(like a fish in water).

That would be pretty crazy :m:

Like autotrophic creatures which rely on light (starlights)? Hard to say..... such creatures will most likely exist in outer space only to travel to other planet.... besides, if such creature(s) were to live in outer space, it may not lose any single mass from its body, or it would be disintegrated and die..... And one more thing: the creatures skin should be extremely hard so as not to allow biomatters from itself o escape to space.

They would have to live near nebulas or planets or asteroids or commets or something to provide them with the matter to make more of eachother at very least... assuming they cant move fast enough to travle to and from these celestial bodys quickly that is. If they could do that, then sure they could be in deep space.

The creature maybe just a collective conciousness without any tangible body. Like a cloud of atoms with a thinking mind that feeds on radiation, sunlight or something of sorts.

Well, we know microbes exist in the atmosphere, well into the stratosphere. They have to be hearty to survive up there. The idea of life evolving and living in orbit certanly does not seem far fetched in light of that, after all we have found life everywhere else on this planet. However, in order to travel to say Mars on it's own, a creature must not only be able to travel interstellar distances, but be able to know where it is going.

ONE
How can a species evolve a instinctual understanding of orbital mechanics as to arrive at it's destiations instead of overshooting?

TWO
How would it be able to propell itself through space?

THREE
How would it be able to sense the whole of the solar system, as to be able to see where it was going over vast distances? How would it be able to see in 3D and know distances to planets?

Originally posted by Xevious
However, in order to travel to say Mars on it's own, a creature must not only be able to travel interstellar distances, but be able to know where it is going.

Im going to revoke your right to speculate in this part of the sciforums for the next couple of days because of this statement (dont worry i dont have any actual authority to make that happen)

You see, earth and mars are planets, not stars. The distance between them is much much MUCH shorter than an interstellar distance. An interstellar distance is the distance between stars, not planets. Earth and Mars are quite close to one star in particular. Really, sometimes I have to wonder how many words people like you use without knowing what they mean.

I am well aware of the definitions of Interplanetary and Interstellar. I was merely careless. May I ask what has prompted your unfriendliness other than annoyance at a quirk?

space fish, mmmm spushi, like sushi... get... har.. har.. har :rolleyes:

tho the idea isnt too far fetched, the first organism on earth was probably the spawn of some type of organism from a asteriod or something and it just so happen when the asteriod hit, the conditions where just perfect for it to mutate and multiply

tho at the very least im sure the best thing we will be seeing its "space-borne" viruses (airborne), that go dormant when out of reach of heat and/or light, and travel on space particals. but dont be expecting to see lassie playing fetch with a moon rock anytime soon

Back