An intelligent man finds almost evervything ridiculous, a wise man hardly anything

nietzschefan

Thread Killer
Valued Senior Member
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quote.

Seems to describe quite clearly two opposing sides to most subjects that get chucked into this (near)cesspool.

I must admit I think some subjects do not belong here. It seems a great deal of things wind up here as soon as someone(I.E AN INDIVIDUAL) post some bogus stuff in a legitimate thread...or the thread itself seems far-fetched, despite real legitimate attempts to remove doubt upon it.

What I am saying is, surely there needs to be a way for wisdom to have a voice on these "science" forums. I know this is mostly a realm for intelligence based disciplines, however for everything else - "Pseudoscience"? Threads almost always chucked here with a heavy, thick, accent of disdain.

I think the problem is the sheer lack of real working scientists who use this forum. People actually working in science (especially physics) love stuff thats disputed and contestable because thats what science is - the exploration of the unknown.
So in the absense of any meaningful scientific method what you get instead is a kind of nervy clinging to the general consensus, and a paranoid distrust of anything even slightly outside of it.

Life is a comedy for those who think...a tragedy for those who feel.
-Some Body.

I think the problem is the sheer lack of real working scientists who use this forum. People actually working in science (especially physics) love stuff thats disputed and contestable because thats what science is - the exploration of the unknown.
So in the absense of any meaningful scientific method what you get instead is a kind of nervy clinging to the general consensus, and a paranoid distrust of anything even slightly outside of it.

And not because of that specific phenomenon or belief but because often these phenomena and beliefs if true would mean we would have to (consciously) rely on our intuition, and that terrifies people. The truth is we do this already, even if we follow what scientists have approved - though generally this is science from 75 years and back, recent science being at least as disturbing as any religious ideas to a rationalist.

Back